Organic soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I have a few bags of Miracle Grow Organic soil laying around and was thinking of planting some greens in a trough for my Sulcatas, I was just wondering what everyones opinions are on using this stuff to grow in. I've been told not to use any fertilizer on plants for torts to eat but from calling around I can't find any potting soil that is fertilizer free. Any info is greatly appreciated.

-JM

5 Year Member
I don't know about Miracle Grow, but I know when I had to do an extensive series of experiments for a biology class that required fertilizer free soil I went to Lowes and Home Depot.

You can usually get a topsoil or a soil that is taken from somewhere in the state that's just dug up with nothing added. That's not to say there are no nutrients in it or that they filtered out whatever fertilizer may have been in there, but if you read the labels they're usually safe and devoid of chemicals.

The downside is that plants can't get much out of this kind of soil (that's what my experiments were on). There's nothing in them for the plants to grow big and healthy, so if you're trying to grow for your torts you may still have to find a natural fertilizer? I'm sure there's something safe that can be used.

I tried to find you a link but I didn't see what I got. I think it varies locally so just go see what they have :)

Good luck!

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
Thanks for the info, I'm going to lowes today anyway to pick up some things so I'll check and see what they have as far as soil goes. :)

-JM

5 Year Member
No problem. I hope it's helpful!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I grow food in soil with fertilizers in it. Heck, ALL food that is grown is grown with fertilizers nowadays, with a possible exception being the stuff labeled "organic", but that's a whole 'nother misunderstood can o' worms too.

I just don't use soil with any additives as a substrate for my torts.

Any fertilizer that is safe for human food to be grown in should be fine for toisrotise food to be grown in too.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
Tom said:
I grow food in soil with fertilizers in it. Heck, ALL food that is grown is grown with fertilizers nowadays, with a possible exception being the stuff labeled "organic", but that's a whole 'nother misunderstood can o' worms too.

I just don't use soil with any additives as a substrate for my torts.

Any fertilizer that is safe for human food to be grown in should be fine for toisrotise food to be grown in too.

Awesome, thanks for the info, I actually just got back from Home Depot and the closest thing to fertalizer free is the organic stuff I already have. The soil I have is what we used for our tomatos so I guess that its ok. I actually have a few issues with this whole "Organic" movement that seems to be all the rage right now, but thats a gripe for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.