Planting Graze Seed Indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
I had a question about planting grass indoors for my baby leopard.

I put some seed in the tort's enclosure and it seems to have taken off on one end. All I have for a substrate is peat/spaghnum/coir.

My main questions pertain to the seperate tray I'm using to grow grass in exclusively. First off, I used a high-quality potting soil by Fox Farms. It's pure organic and contains earthworm castings and bat guano. I realize that I shouldn't put the tortoise in the growing tray, but is it okay to feed grass grown in that soil? If it isn't okay, then what should I use to cultivate the feed? Additive-free topsoil is very tough to come by around here this time of year.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The grass from the tray should be fine,I use dirt from the yard, what I have is a heavy clay soil so I mix in a little sand and peat to loosen it up some. I pull what I want that day and rinse the roots off and feed the whole plant,I have noticed when the soil is wet(like after a heavy rain). when the tortoises graze outside in the yard they pull the young plants out of the ground and eat the whole thing with some soil still attached to the roots. I used to cut it in hope it would re-grow but found it easier to pull and replant , I use mostly seeds from the parrot mix that I buy for my birds now, which gives them a good variety. Len

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have just coconut coir for my leopards substrate and I grow grass,weeds and clover right in that. Comes up quick and he can help himself. I tried growing it in separate containers but was a hassle placing it in his enclosure and making sure he could get in and out. This way it is part of his substrate, as if he was outside grazing and if I have to leave him for a day or two, I don't worry about him having food.

Status
Not open for further replies.