planting seeds in indoor enclosure

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I replaced Fezzik's substrate over the weekend and just for giggles I tossed some Russian seed mix in, not expecting it to grow at all. There is very little natural light in my garage, but seedlings started to appear yesterday, which was literally 3 days. Not sure how well they will survive, but I'm pretty shocked they grew at all, much less so quickly!

You can see in the pic the only natural light source, other than the sliding glass door which is kind of far away, is pretty high up and no sunlight makes it to that part of the enclosure directly either way. Plus we have had almost no sunlight since I planted these b/c we are having June gloom right now, as I like to call it - we are now living in "New Seattle".

Attachments

• IMG_7093.jpg
    IMG_7093.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7092.jpg
    IMG_7092.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 4

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
even better pic!

Attachments

• fezzik sprouts.jpg
    fezzik sprouts.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Cool. They will grow under your UV lights.

No UV lights though. Fezzik goes outside enough that I don't use them. I own one UV bulb I keep in case of emergency (long periods without sun) but I only have a CHE and an incandescent going now.

EricW

Houston, TX
Saw the lights so assumed. Though, incandescent lights do emit a small amount of UV.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Seeds will still germinate and grow quite a bit without sufficient light. However, if not sufficient, you will know soon as they will become very leggy looking for that light and eventually fail.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
They will sprout just enough to be a fun snack without adding a dedicated plant light.