Planting wildflowers?

Baconbear27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
I bought this little bag of wildflowers from a local store in Jerome, Arizona. I want to plant them in my tortoises area of the yard, but only if they are good for him. At the bottom of the photo they list the different types of flowers in the mix. Can anyone tell me if these are ok for Voldetort, or did I buy these seeds for my own side of the yard? Be nice, this is why I’m asking first...

Attachments

• 659F51CD-7FEC-44E2-8C54-B9C837CF7126.jpeg
    659F51CD-7FEC-44E2-8C54-B9C837CF7126.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 9D842888-7931-42B6-9DA3-BAA50FF07EBB.jpeg
    9D842888-7931-42B6-9DA3-BAA50FF07EBB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

Authentixia

UK
I know that some wildflowers are safe for tortoises, but, of course, nit all of them. You should look up each flower in the mix to see if they’re okay for Voldetort.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
They're all fine. I've never seen a desert wildflower mix that is problematic. They are trickier so I'd likely to just throw out weed seed but all are good.

There plenty of daisies and close friends in there, which I don't expect to be popular but they aren't unsafe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bought this little bag of wildflowers from a local store in Jerome, Arizona. I want to plant them in my tortoises area of the yard, but only if they are good for him. At the bottom of the photo they list the different types of flowers in the mix. Can anyone tell me if these are ok for Voldetort, or did I buy these seeds for my own side of the yard? Be nice, this is why I’m asking first...
I doubt anyone here knows all of those. You will have to attempt to look up each one. I have done that before, and it was frustrating. In most cases, it is hard to find reliable info on toxicity of decorative wild flowers. Some species in some of the mixes were toxic, or appeared to be so from the reference material I was finding, so I opted to forego the mixes. The safer bet is to find individual species of flowers that you know will do well, and plant a bunch of those instead. I use a lot of gazania, lavatera, alyssum, ice plant, and hollyhock, clovers, and alfalfa, which all do well in our hot dry climates.