• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

blu rodriguez

Location (City and/or State)
LA California
He seems to like the garden but I want to make more safety modifications. It's a strawberry garden and he doesn't seem to want to eat any is that unusual? Are strawberries good or bad for them? Should I let him bury himself there?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's always a good idea to allow a tortoise outside providing the outside yard is safe and escape-proof.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises don't "play".

Outside time in a safe, shaded, chemical free enclosure is a good thing. This gives them exercise, UV and grazing time. In our SoCal climate I prefer to limit baby sulcatas to just and hour or two a day, and give them a good 20-40 minute soak on the way back inside. As they grow, I extend the number of hours a day I leave them outside until they stay outside most of the day once they are 5-6". Weather permitting of course.

And strawberries are not good for them. Also be careful that there are no chemicals or exposed fertilizers in the strawberry patch. Here is a list of good stuff to feed:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

blu rodriguez

LA California
Tortoises don't "play".

Outside time in a safe, shaded, chemical free enclosure is a good thing. This gives them exercise, UV and grazing time. In our SoCal climate I prefer to limit baby sulcatas to just and hour or two a day, and give them a good 20-40 minute soak on the way back inside. As they grow, I extend the number of hours a day I leave them outside until they stay outside most of the day once they are 5-6". Weather permitting of course.
By soak do you mean water or sun?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Blu, Tom has them outside for a limited period ( 1-2 hrs) then on the way back to their indoor enclosure he gives them a good soaking in water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To explain further:
Our climate is very dry here. Dry as in very low humidity and very little rainfall. Being outside in the sunshine (with shade always available too...) is excellent for our tortoises, but it is also very desiccating to their delicate young shells. They hatch during the African rainy season when its hot and very humid with puddles and marshes all over the place, so our super dry climate here is very unnatural for hatchlings. I have found that soaking them after their daily sunning sessions, helps to reduce or eliminate any damage done by our dry climate.