Please help!! (antibiotics, now ill)

George red foot

5 Year Member
My tort was given antibiotics for a skin wound yesterday. Since then he has been off his food and he's been very quiet and now has been sick! What shall I do?! Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Please help!!

Do you know the name of the antibiotic?

Antibiotic medicine is actually poison. Some tortoises take it better than others.

Give him a daily warm soak for about 15 minutes in water that comes up to the middle of the sides of his shell (where the top meets the bottom). This will help to flush out his system.

It is helpful to put sick tortoises into a smaller hospital tank while they are getting well, so you can heat up the tank overall to about 85F degrees. This also helps him shake off whatever ails him.

George red foot

5 Year Member
Please help!!

Baytril. Do I stop the medicine or shall I continue to give it him, he is lethargic. I'm really worried about him, I'm trying to call an emergency vets

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't like to second-guess a vet, because he has had the education, and I haven't. But my gut is telling me that Baytril is for a respiratory infection, not a skin wound. I'm sure it is used for all kinds of infections, but if the wound wasn't infected, I would have just done first aid on it. That is, unless it was a very bad wound.

I think you should do what your vet advised you to do, but if it were my animal, I wouldn't be using Baytril. It is very harsh, and stings like crazy. Many tortoises have bad reactions to it.

George red foot

5 Year Member
Thank you, I'm ringing an emergency vet now

They said to take him off the antibiotics and just use the antibiotic cream. Since being sick he seems to have perked up a bit. I gave him a long warm soak and he's now basking under his lamp. But he is moving around a bit more now (he's usually always very energetic). He's still not eaten though but I suspect he'll be eating again soon (I really hope) he is usually such a pig!

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Hi, Andy here, last sept my Redfoot got sick with a pneumonia and the vet prescrip 6 injections of the same antibiotic baytril and made her very different, she stops eating for days, being inactive, didnt poop, we prepare for the worst. What we did was that we reduce the space of her habitat, only having a hide,water dish and the food dish and put all kinds of foods at the same time so she decide what to eat, we keep her warm during the day and not too cool in the night and warm soaks two times a day and plenty of sunlight. The side effect of the baytril on my redfoot took 2 months to go and also made one of her front legs to go numb until 2 weeks ago that the leg came alive again.
If your RF dont eat much the only thing that made Dobby start her appetite was a zooMed food for forest tortoise with a appetite stimulator.
Hope it helps in someway

George red foot

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for all your guidance and help. I am so worried about him! Did you stop the antibiotics? George is always so active and eats so much! I hope they wear off fast :(

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I did want it to stop cause how Dobby was reacting to it but my wife insisted on givin all 6 and we did. We give it to her on injections one a day on each different front leg. but here in the forum told me that if there will be another ocations in which I have to use baytril again ask the vet to give it orally not using and injection.

George red foot

5 Year Member
I'm giving the antibiotics orally, but it's still having a negative affect on him :( he's still not eating.
I'm not sure what the sore is from... I'll show you a picture
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394612401.019011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

George red foot

5 Year Member
Been back to the vets, they've advised taking him off the oral antibiotics and just use the cream. They've also given me 'critical care' good which is a dry powder I'm mixing with water, they said he should eat it as it's very sweet but he still wasn't eating it so they said to syringe feed him to keep him hydrated and keep nutrients in him. So hopefully now he's had some he will start to feel better. So horrible to see him poorly :( x

Orpexo

5 Year Member
George red foot said:
Been back to the vets, they've advised taking him off the oral antibiotics and just use the cream. They've also given me 'critical care' good which is a dry powder I'm mixing with water, they said he should eat it as it's very sweet but he still wasn't eating it so they said to syringe feed him to keep him hydrated and keep nutrients in him. So hopefully now he's had some he will start to feel better. So horrible to see him poorly :( x

I am on the same boat. I hope your tort gets better fast.
what do you feed him via the syringe?

George red foot

5 Year Member
Thank you! I hope your tort is better soon too!
The vet gave me some powdered food called 'critical care' but I think it's very similar to zoomed food. If you soak it in water it should be runny enough to syringe feed. It's just a temporary way to get some nutrients into him while I wait for him to get better and be his usual piggy self! He does already seem a little more active, not back to normal but a bit better than last night. I was preparing myself for the worst last night, he looked so poorly!

George red foot

5 Year Member
Update:
George has started eating!! His appetite is not as great as it usually is but it's hardly surprising! I'm so glad he's perked up a bit! Iots of warm baths and small amounts of food often and he will be back to his normal self! Was so horrible to see him so poorly!

George red foot

5 Year Member
Me too! Such a relief! I always get him out his viv and let him wander around the house for a bit but I haven't the past couple of days as he has had no energy! He's out now exploring everywhere! So nice to see! I can't believe how much antibiotics affected him. He had one dose then I gave him another dose the next day and he puked up straight after so he only really had one dose and it knocked him back so much!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1394654822.424790.jpg

Having a little cuddle :)

Last edited by a moderator:

katrvt

5 Year Member
Glad to hear that your kiddo is doing better. Baytril is a Great antibiotic and good for both respiratory and skin. That said, it has negative side effects, just like all medications can. Injectable Nautilus is very caustic and is notorious for causing sterile abscesses and can(and will) even discolor the skin at injection sites and cause scarring sometimes. Oral baytril is very potent and can kill too many good bacteria in the gut along with the bad sometimes. We typically put our patients on a probiotic at the same time, and this alleviates that problem. There are also some kiddos who just don't tolerate certain meds, similar to people who can't take penicillins etc. There is no way to predict those who just won't handle it well. Just be sure to remember that George can't have it, in case they didn't stick a flag in his chart, though I am sure they did.

Also, critical care is awesome stuff. Made by a top notch company. Love it for syringe or even tube feeding sick exotics. They make both herbivore and carnivore versions, and a fine grind with smaller fiber particles for tube feeding. On par with zoomed for quality.

George red foot

5 Year Member
Thank you so much! Surprising how much 0.6ml of baytril can knock a tortoise back! My poor little guy! So happy to see him better. Xx

The critical care food is amazing!! Perked George up so fast!! :)