Please Help!!! California Desert Tortoise Hatchling!!!

miklogan

Location (City and/or State)
Arcadia, CA
Hello,
We have had 3 (adult) California Desert Tortoises since before I was born (the tortoises are 40-60 years old). We just had a hatchling that we found today and I've never cared for a baby, only adults. The adults have free roam of the back yard, and I know hatchlings need a lot of care to survive. So basically, I need help on how to care for my hatchling. I need to know what to feed, how to build an enclosure (how big, what substrate, what heat/bask lamps), and basically everything!!! I need how to care for a hatchling 101!!!! I've been researching for the past 4 hours, but there's so much conflicting information out there. Please help!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!

You’ll find so much conflicting information outside of the forum, speaking from experience all it will do is cause you confusion. You can rest assured this place has the most up to date, safest care information out there!

This thread below should hopefully help you out, I know it says Russians and hermans, but their care is pretty similar as babies, it goes over correct equipment, levels, appropriately maintaining humidity, the need for a closed chamber with babies, with lots of visual examples for everything!

This one should hopefully help you avoid the wrong kinds of bulbs, substrates etc, and you can always double check purchases on here before buying!

Hope this helps! Let me tag @Yvonne G too incase she feels I’ve missed anything as I’m not as familiar with desert tortoises🙂

miklogan

Arcadia, CA
Yes, the 3 adults have free roam of the whole backyard (minus the pool area as it’s fenced off of course). There is 2 females and 1 male. We have plenty of hides throughout the yard, so they’re usually roaming or off on their own for the most part. They all get along really well!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If they have been together for 40 to 60 years and they get along that is great. You will need to make or buy a closed enclosure. Meaning the top also needs to be solid not screen. That will hold the humidity in and will keep your heat even.
Hopefully someone from California answers you soon.
@Tom @Yvonne G

miklogan

Arcadia, CA
Ok so I have my hatchling in a temporary vivarium for now until I can put together a permanent enclosure. I’m not worried about UVB because I will be taking it ( I don’t know what to call it since I don’t know the sex) outside everyday for sun. I’ve set up a basking light on a timer, and I have a CHE coming in. I bought a 50 gal Rubbermaid tank to build the indoor enclosure in. For desert tortoises, does it need to be fully enclosed? Or just partial? And what heat and humidity is the enclosure to be kept at for both day and night?

miklogan

Arcadia, CA
Our females have always laid eggs but none have ever hatched :/ I didn’t think we would ever have any babies so I’m not prepared, but any advice is appreciated!! Just please be nice, I know I’m not prepared as I should have been.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion it's just as important to raise CDT babies in a closed enclosure as it is for any other species. I raise mine in Vision cages until they outgrow them. I keep.plenty of potted plants in there and keep the substrate fairly moist. I'm on my Kindle now and don't have picturrs here but you can search for posts by me where I show my babies in the Vision cages.,

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ok so I have my hatchling in a temporary vivarium for now until I can put together a permanent enclosure. I’m not worried about UVB because I will be taking it ( I don’t know what to call it since I don’t know the sex) outside everyday for sun. I’ve set up a basking light on a timer, and I have a CHE coming in. I bought a 50 gal Rubbermaid tank to build the indoor enclosure in. For desert tortoises, does it need to be fully enclosed? Or just partial? And what heat and humidity is the enclosure to be kept at for both day and night?
Yeah as Yvonne says, for any babies it’s best to have them in a closed set up, I’d go over the previous threads I linked you, they should really help you out🙂just ignore the bit about uv as you’ll be giving it some sun😊