Please help ID - a jackass I know bought these in a market in Morocco, he paid €15 ($20) for two. Can someone please ID them so I can advise him

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Can you post a picture of the pastron underneath?

Irish_Ninja_Turtle

Dublin, Ireland
Oh they are SOOOOO dry, stick them in water warm water...
Can you help ID? I know nothing about tortoises but my am purely guessing African Spurred based on probability. I have found some resources to pass on to him but will have to ask another person to translate into the owner's first language - Brazilian Portuguese

zovick

10 Year Member!
Can you help ID? I know nothing about tortoises but my am purely guessing African Spurred based on probability. I have found some resources to pass on to him but will have to ask another person to translate into the owner's first language - Brazilian Portuguese
They do not appear to be African Spurred Tortoises (Centrochelys sulcata). The sulcatas have no nuchal scute, and one of these tortoises does have it. The second one is missing its nuchal scute and has at least one extra vertebral scute that I can see (which is totally unrelated to the presence or absence of the nuchal scute in determining the species of the animals in question but I mention it since I noticed it).

They look like Golden Greek Tortoises (Testudo graeca terrestris) which are also known as Mesopotamian Tortoises to me, but I am not a real expert on Mediterranean species. Here is a link with pix and info: https://www.everythingreptiles.com/golden-greek-tortoise/

The only other likely candidate would be the Egyptian Tortoise (Testudo kleinmanni, but they are very rare also protected. Here is a link to pix and info on them:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I can tell you they are absolutely 100% Greek Tortoises. Testudo graeca

The subspecies is hard to identify, but by appearance they do appear to be the Morocco Tortoise Testuco graeca marokkensis. Those are native to Morocco, so it also would make sense if he bought them at a local market there.

Irish_Ninja_Turtle

Dublin, Ireland
They do not appear to be African Spurred Tortoises (Centrochelys sulcata). The sulcatas have no nuchal scute, and one of these tortoises does have it. The second one is missing its nuchal scute and has at least one extra vertebral scute that I can see (which is totally unrelated to the presence or absence of the nuchal scute in determining the species of the animals in question but I mention it since I noticed it).

They look like Golden Greek Tortoises (Testudo graeca terrestris) which are also known as Mesopotamian Tortoises to me, but I am not a real expert on Mediterranean species. Here is a link with pix and info: https://www.everythingreptiles.com/golden-greek-tortoise/

The only other likely candidate would be the Egyptian Tortoise (Testudo kleinmanni, but they are very rare also protected. Here is a link to pix and info on them:
Your first instinct appears to be correct and luckily they are not rare Egyptian - I would have had to kidnap them and bring them somewhere safe. Thanks for the link, it covers everything Golden Greek, I'll pass on an idiot-proof summary

Irish_Ninja_Turtle

Dublin, Ireland
I can tell you they are absolutely 100% Greek Tortoises. Testudo graeca

The subspecies is hard to identify, but by appearance they do appear to be the Morocco Tortoise Testuco graeca marokkensis. Those are native to Morocco, so it also would make sense if he bought them at a local market there.
Thanks Mark, yep that makes sense! I'm not too concerned about subspecies right now I just want to be able to give general care/housing/temperature advice to get these guys through their first few days in a cold humid climate. It's currently just above freezing outside in Dublin

Reactions: Ink