please help info needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Arizona
So today I was out with a friend and we were going to a few yard sales. Well at this one they were selling this red foot tortoise with a 5 foot tank and it had nothing in it. So I bought it because I was upset with how they were treating it. So I came home with him and fixed up a 40 gallon tank for him. He has a humid hide, a dry hide, heat and uvb, I planted flowers in there to help with the humidity. So my questions are: 1. What temps should his hot spot be, ambient temp, and cool spot during the day? 2. What temp should he get down to at night? 3. Is it a boy? 4. About how old is it? 5. What should I be feeding it? 6. What should the humidity be at?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Welcome to rapid setup Redfoot Care, I've been there too, and I'll give you the same links that helped me, and I just gave someone else.

http://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/home

http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

low 80s ambient, 90 hot spot. 5 degree drop at night is nice. Typical Weed Diet, dandelions, plantain, endive, etc. A little fruit (less on the acidic side), a little protein. In a too brief nutshell :)

and oh yah 80+ humidity :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Do you mind if I ask what you paid for him/her? (I am bad at sexing RF's) it looks male but I am not 100 percent certain.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
dmmj said:
Do you mind if I ask what you paid for him/her? (I am bad at sexing RF's) it looks male but I am not 100 percent certain.

They wanted $100 but I talked them down to $60.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
lol I was gonna say female, but I'm bad as well, I thought Rocky was male, and Mark thinks female, he I trust

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
It looks to be in good shape. I won't bother guessing on gender though as I"m not very good at that myself.

Might be some shell rot in the first picture.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Welcome! Nice tort at a nice price!

Questions 1, 2, 5, and 6 can be found in The Tortoise Library in my sig below.

Sex- the guidelines are that you cannot sex it reliably until it hits sexual maturity- about 6" long or so. It is a northern version of a Red-foot, so the guidelines for a male would be-
- indented or concave plastron
- slight 'wasp waist' or slightly narrowed waist
- long tail that can reach one of the hind legs easily and is generally carried tucked along a side
- the two anal scutes on the plastron form a wide angle, almost a straight line across, while females form a V or U at almost a 90 degree angle
- the points of the anal scutes on females are close to the marginals- too close to let the tail move freely past them. There is a wider gap for males to let the tail swing freely

Age- this will vary a lot based on how it was raised. I think 2 years would be a decent guess, but it is just a guess.

I'm a good researcher, but don't have a long range of experience like Egyptian Dan, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.