PLEASE HELP (Lost my baby sulcata)

Ljpballer

Location (City and/or State)
West India
MY BABY SULCATA WAS OUTSIDE AND ALL OF THE SUDDEN RAN AWAY AND I CANT FIND HIM IVE BEEN LOOKING GOR 1 HOUR

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get down on your hands and knees and start looking under every bush and tuft of grass. They typically try to dig into the root ball of plants to cool off. Check every shady area.

Was the tortoise not in an enclosure?

Ljpballer

West India
Get down on your hands and knees and start looking under every bush and tuft of grass. They typically try to dig into the root ball of plants to cool off. Check every shady area.

Was the tortoise not in an enclosure?
He has an enclosure but I was letting him out to roam but I think he is gone if checked everywhere and under every bush but I think he got into the woods

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We've heard variations of this story over and over again. It's NEVER a good idea to allow your tortoise, baby or grown, to be free or loose in an unfenced area. They are expert at getting out of your sight and getting gone!

Since your baby was a baby, there's a good chance he was picked up by a bird. This happens all the time too.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I often have to look very hard for one of mine in his enclosure.. he likes to burrow in the roots of one particular grass patch (like Tom said) and is very herd to see. I think it could be very likely that he is very close if you lost him that quickly.. please don’t give up because it is a life or death situation for him!
Good luck!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If it really is a very small baby, hopefully it’s very close by and scared and honkered down. Have to hope you can find him before nightfall - lots of critters out there on the prowl. Keep looking...