PLEASE HELP SULCATA EXPERTS IS MOLLY SICK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Nice setup for your babies. Just make sure that they say warm and get their warm soaks daily. Keep their enclosure with high humidity, and they will grow to be beautiful and healthy sullies.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Okay thanks! What can I do to keep the humidity up? I'm trying an antibiotic that may help, and I am changing the substrate Also in a few months we are getting another setup for Spike, and in Spring we are building an outdor enclosure. One thing I really will try to do is soak often because honestly I sometimes forget but I am promising I will really work on that. I hope she gets better I have had tough times with pets and I love her so much! Again thanks so much for your help!!!!:D:tort::tort:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Looks good, but can i say. Why the pellet substrate? The humidity will cause it to mold, which will cause more problems. Is this what you had for substrate in the first place? If so this might have been the cause of the sickness. I would suggest removing the pellets. They do not work well in an enclosure. Cocoir works the best, plain organic dirt works even better. Anything but pellets...

mainey34 said:
Looks good, but can i say. Why the pellet substrate? The humidity will cause it to mold, which will cause more problems. Is this what you had for substrate in the first place? If so this might have been the cause of the sickness. I would suggest removing the pellets. They do not work well in an enclosure. Cocoir works the best, plain organic dirt works even better. Anything but pellets...
I just looked back on the beginning of this post. Looks like you have been using pellets for substrate. May i ask why this is? If you have humidity and those pellets over a small amount of time you are creating mold...there is your answer. Mold. Your sulcatas are breathing that stuff in. You are going to continually have respiratory issues with your torts. Unless you correct this. It is also very necessary to seperate them immediately...

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Ell I used that because a pet store guy told me that. Doesn't suprise me his torts were unhealthy and he thought he knew everything told me ohhh watch out for people in Craigslist! So he was a jerk! He housed a redfoot with a sulcata and neither were active unlike Molly and her siblings!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Based on what you have already done to make Molly a happy home, I can't stress enough that humidity is so important since they are still very young. I noticed that your enclosure is not covered. If you aren't already doing this, I would cover the top either 1/2 or 3/4 to hold in the humidity. Also, those babies can do well in 100 degrees provided you have other areas in the enclosure that register around 75-85 degrees. The hind could be 90-95 degrees, and only under the heating bulb can the temps go to perhaps 103 degrees. I wouldn't let it get hotter than that especially since you already stated that you don't stray them down often or give them daily soaks. I would begin to give 2-3 warm soaks daily because you may not be straying them as often as they need. One of the most dangerous things that babies are exposed to is dehydration. In the wild, these guys know how to burrow deep down to keep warm and moist and they know how to keep out of the hot sun. Unfortunately, as captives, they are at the mercy of their owners. So, read all the threads (Tom's threads) on how to care for sulcatas and you'll do well.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I totally agree with sibi. My experience with my sulcata and pyramiding...hydration is the key factor. Replace the pellets. Get cocoir. Spray 2-3 times daily. Soak 2 times a day cover enclosure 3/4 of the way. You took on this responsibility. They are relying on you...

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Okay I will thx! I'm trying my hardest!! And about the substrate don't blame me blame the pet store dude! Lol

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
You sound young. Listen to what everyone has to say they are just trying to help. No one is blaming you don't worry you were given bad advice and that happens sometimes. Just remember to soak at least twice daily. My daughter has what she calls Tanks alarm (although she soaks tank 3x and usually before the alert goes off). I digress if you have trouble remembering set an alarm. Read up as much as you can on Sulcatas. Educate yourself because they are relying on you

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
You are not to blame for the advice you are given, but you are responsible for the advice you choose to follow.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Yes that's true I guess I should have looked a little more... And maybe that guy shouldn't own a pet store! Lol

Shannon and Jason said:
You sound young. Listen to what everyone has to say they are just trying to help. No one is blaming you don't worry you were given bad advice and that happens sometimes. Just remember to soak at least twice daily. My daughter has what she calls Tanks alarm (although she soaks tank 3x and usually before the alert goes off). I digress if you have trouble remembering set an alarm. Read up as much as you can on Sulcatas. Educate yourself because they are relying on you

Okay thanks I will! And yes lol you can tell? I'm 12 and a big reptile lover!

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Today I looked for mazuri at the pet store and I couldnt fund it? And I only saw coco husk no coir and sand and Eco dirt and stuff any suggestions??

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Mazuri you will have to order on line and cocoir is in petsmart. I was there today they have a 3 pack for 7.99

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Te coco coir at petsmart is called Eco earth. You can get 3 bricks for $7.99. That's what I use and it took about 2 bricks to cover Chompers enclosure, which is a 50 gallon plastic tub.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
She is improving a lot! I'm going to get the substrate and she's more active! She'd a whole lot better I didn't even have to use the antibiotics thanks guys!!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Great job, you should be very proud of yourself! Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.