Please Help!! (tortoise stays hidden)

Turtle@Heart

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
I have a red footed Tortoise and we just got him some new bedding about three weeks ago, lately he has been digging into it and not coming out, almost like hibernating but red-footed tortoises don't hibernate. Please help

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
How are your temps? Don't let them fall below 80 or your torts metabolism will slow and it may become inactive. If the tortoise is a hatchling it's not out of the ordinary for them to sleep a lot but they should still come out daily for food/water. You may need to take him out yourself and do a warm soak before feeding to get the little one up and moving.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I also suspect temps, what are yours at?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I don't have a gage, but i don't think it is because his cage is warm and he doesn't come out to eat
You really should get a reliable thermoneter. If you use the search function you should find several recommendations (some even quite cheap ones I believe). What you think is warm enough and what the tortoise thinks is warm enough doesn't have to be the same. You might be surprised if you check the temperature.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I agree it's the temps a human' s temp is 98.6 and at 101 your sick and at 105 degrees you should see a doctor . So we are comfortable at 73 and at 78 degrees we are uncomfortable . You could get a human thermomitor and be close with temps and it might be heated by a heating pad .