Please help

Josie16

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
My Russian tortoise isn't eating properly and is very lethargic, my parents and brother think she's trying to hibernate but it's only August and is extremely hot so that doesn't make sense I know the best option would be to take her to the vet but she's technically my brother's tortoise and my parents don't think there's a problem if anyone has any advice on what it could be or any advice on what I could do to better her care it would be much appreciated

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How hot is the enclosure it's in? All temps, all over, basking and night?
Is it inside or outside?
Does he graze or are you feeding him?

Josie16

Illinois
How hot is the enclosure it's in? All temps, all over, basking and night?
Is it inside or outside?
Does he graze or are you feeding him?
The hottest the enclosure gets is in the low 90's the lowest is in the 70's his tank is inside and I'm feeding him

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well the basking spot needs to be 95-100 or they can't digest their food and will stop eating and will get sick.
All over should be 75-80 and no heat at night as long as it doesn't go below 60.
An adult Russian also needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure to stay healthy. They need to have room to roam and keep insides working properly.
Get things changed and see how it goes. Soak him daily in warm water until things are corrected and he's acting more normal.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My Russian tortoise isn't eating properly and is very lethargic, my parents and brother think she's trying to hibernate but it's only August and is extremely hot so that doesn't make sense I know the best option would be to take her to the vet but she's technically my brother's tortoise and my parents don't think there's a problem if anyone has any advice on what it could be or any advice on what I could do to better her care it would be much appreciated
Welcome Josie - it sounds like you are right to be concerned - how old is the tortoise? How long have you had her? She is unlikely to be wanting to hibernate, but there must be a reason.
Angie

Josie16

Illinois
Welcome Josie - it sounds like you are right to be concerned - how old is the tortoise? How long have you had her? She is unlikely to be wanting to hibernate, but there must be a reason.
Angie
She's 3-4 and we've had her for a little over a year

zolasmum

5 Year Member
She's 3-4 and we've had her for a little over a year
Does she have much chance to exercise outside? As Wellington said, she won't be able to digest her food if she is unable to get her insides moving properly, which means she is too full up to eat more.

Josie16

Illinois
Does she have much chance to exercise outside? As Wellington said, she won't be able to digest her food if she is unable to get her insides moving properly, which means she is too full up to eat more.
She gets out quite often in the summer to be outside but in the winter it's to cold for her to go outside, I'll let her out into my room after she pooped sometimes but other then that not really