Help!! Sami cant open her eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Floresville, Texas
Since it's Friday I would like to suggest taking her to the Vet today. She sounds very sick to me, and remember she is a baby and therefore will go down hill faster. I don't know if you have a vet already or not. If not I recommend Universal City Animal Hospital, it's at 2510 Pat Booker and they have a couple of tortoise Vets. Phone 210-658-6326. Hope your baby gets better.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
greyshirt said:
Since it's Friday I would like to suggest taking her to the Vet today. She sounds very sick to me, and remember she is a baby and therefore will go down hill faster. I don't know if you have a vet already or not. If not I recommend Universal City Animal Hospital, it's at 2510 Pat Booker and they have a couple of tortoise Vets. Phone 210-658-6326. Hope your baby gets better.

Is there anything the Vet could do that I'm not already doing?
I got my list ready for

-coco coir/ cypress mulch
-CHE/new UVB heat bulb
-baby carrot food

I'm going to get all that today since the bulbs still haven't arrived in the mail. I'm doing 3-4 30min warm soaks, at least 2 of them with the sauna technique. Using the fish oil application to eyes after soaks. Continue trying to get some food into her.

If you guys think there is something more a Vet can do, I'll figure out a way to get there.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Zabbi0 said:
greyshirt said:

Is there anything the Vet could do that I'm not already doing?
I got my list ready for

-coco coir/ cypress mulch
-CHE/new UVB heat bulb
-baby carrot food

I'm going to get all that today since the bulbs still haven't arrived in the mail. I'm doing 3-4 30min warm soaks, at least 2 of them with the sauna technique. Using the fish oil application to eyes after soaks. Continue trying to get some food into her.

If you guys think there is something more a Vet can do, I'll figure out a way to get there.

If you fix the humidity, heat and do some baby food soaks, she should be okay. Unless if there is an underlying serious health condition, but I would guess it is because she's to cold and to dry.

Its hard to say with vets. Some reptile vets are very experienced and could possibly do a lot for her, and other vets have never seen a tortoise. I've heard varying experiences. Personally, I treat all ailments in my tortoises at home, but if she's not better soon, it might be best to try to take her to a vet. If you would like, you could try calling a reptile vet close to you. Sometimes they will have conversations over the phone to help you; explain the situation over the phone and see what they say.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I'm pretty confident in the help here. She is a tad bit better i would say.
Her eyes are not stuck shut anymore though she is still pretty lethargic.
I went out and bought everything on the list I posted earlier. Cypress mulch, baby carrots, a plastic box for a hide, new feeding dish &CHE & secondary lamp to hold the 150watt CHE. Will continue using the 75watt UVA for light for now. I bought a Acu-rite thermometer indoor/outdoor with temp & humidity and timer for $30. I am currently setting all that up in her tank while she is soaking in the baby carrot food. Will continue with the soaks.

Thanks so much everyone.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Little progress. She moves a little. Opens her eyes when I poke her little legs. But she won't eat. I don't see her pooing either. I think she has peed though bc of all the soaks. I have got the right bulbs on her now. Temps are 95 hot side and 80 cool side. Humidity is at 50% but I'm doing all the sauna soaks too. She's 3-4years old so I'm not sure strong humidity matters right now?
Anyway- I have had 2 people tell me she might just be wanting to hibernate? They said even with light some sulcatas just want to not eat or do anything except sleep? What do you all think? I just wish I could get some food in her. It's been 3 days now.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Sounds like she's got the right habitat now, but did you change the substrate? I would cover more of the cage or just spray more often to try and get the humidity a little higher, at least 70%.

I've never heard of hibernating in sulcatas, and if it happens I would assume she would have to go into cooler temperatures...(65 or under?) Personally, I doubt the hibernating part.

Have you been doing the baby food soaks? That should get at least some nutrients in her.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yes I changed it from bark to cypress mulch. I tried feeding her strawberries- her favorite- just to try & get something in her but she didn't touch it. I have been doing the baby carrot food soaks twice daily and the sauna soaks twice daily too. I am spraying her tank I don't even know how often but can't get humidity above 55. I'll get a humidifier soon. Aside from that temps are fine.
She has been opening her eyes and I've seen her walk across her tank 3 times. I just have GOT to get that girl to eat! She's acting 50% back to normal aside from that.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
It sounds like she'll be fine soon, just keep us posted and make sure she eats.

Thanks Yvonne, I was about to wonder how through years of tortoise research I missed anything about hibernating in sulcatas...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
is that a picture of her with the kitten? is that an old pic? cuz that is Not a 3 year old sulcata..
how big is she?

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yeah that's a very old pic. I've had her a year and I think she was 2yrs or so when I got her. She's about 7 inches. She's not very big. But now that I know the right way to take care of her I'm sure she will start thriving. She was moving around more tonight. I think she is doing better. Just gotta get her eating. I have a good feeling about tomorrow.

She's grown about half that size I would say.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You are correct in that at the age she is, high constant humidity is not AS imperative BUUUUTTTT she should still have a warm humid hide at her disposal and you can also add water to the substrate directly below the heating element (light) so as to allow her to gain some moisture while basking...but still allow her to retreat to dry lower temp area....

Be patient with the eating,..especially if she has not had proper set up until now...keep up the soaks and continue to place food offerings in her path so she has them when she decides she wants to eat...

Please don't give into fruits right now, her body likely will be aok without the sugar intake of a strawberry....maybe better squash, cucumber for treat while trying to get her to take in some food....

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Okay... I won't give strawberries.
But this is day 4. How long can they go without eating? She seems completely alert this morning- i tried offering her greens again & it was a no go so I have her back in her baby carrot food soak.

She is eating this morning. :)))

I think we are ok!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah!!!!!!! And patience is a skilled tested from time to time when hosting a tortoise for sure,,,lol

For reference, a tort can go easily go a couple of weeks without eating...that can change based on age/size of tort as well as circumstance...

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Weeks?? Oh wow!! I would have never ever imagined that. I feed Sami daily and always worry that she's hungry. Hah.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
A reptiles digestive system is a lot different then a mammals...

When tortoises aren't getting what they need, (what to eat, climate, humidity, etc.) they just go into a slow-down period of activity. Retreat inside their shells and wait for better conditions...In these periods of inactivity, they can last a few weeks (or even longer for some species) with no food. However, when they're active daily they're going to be hungry at least every other day :).

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
She's a sulcata, right? A healthy sulcata will always eat every day unless something is wrong. So, even though they can go two or more weeks w/o eating doesn't mean you don't have to offer food 1-2 times a day. Try offering a variety of foods like kale, turnips collard greens, fresh cut pesticide free grass, hibiscus flower with leaves, weeds, soft cooked pumpkin or squash to name a few. Keep offering a variety of foods, even if she doesn't eat it, and one day she'll chomp the whole thing down. You'll also find out what's her favorite foods that way.

bogart20

5 Year Member
It could be a vitamin A deficiency.
They sell eye drops for torts usually at the pet store, I heard good things about it.
What is his diet like?

I'm srry to hear your tort is sick! I hope he gets better!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.