PLEASE HELP.

Nae_xx

Location (City and/or State)
London
Is there any specific ways i could tell what breed my tortoise is snd what gender? And what dietary recommendations would be the best ive recently learnt that commercial veg from stores aren’t necessarily good im going to organic now. I have a feeling that my tortoise is sad? In a way hes/shes less active then usual im not sure if this is beacuse its soon hibernation of beacuse he/shes young of beacuse he/shes sad. Because i live in the UK sometimes the weather isnt always good so he/she hasnt got that much natural sunlight could that he/she a reason why? He/she could be sad. P.s i know he/she looks quite dry in the photos however this was before his/her soak and i have not soaked him/her daily as i thought it was bad for it

Attachments

• IMG_4962.jpeg
    IMG_4962.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4963.jpeg
    IMG_4963.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4965.jpeg
    IMG_4965.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The tail in a older tort is the main tell tail sign of gender 😅
I highly recommend warm shallow soaks in a hgh sided container providing hydration and a bit of exercise 3 times a week for around 30 mins.
Change substrate for orchid bark as the soil get trapped everywhere Inc the food and gets invested. This could cause impaction with a sandpit in the stomach.

Nae_xx

London
The tail in a older tort is the main tell tail sign of gender 😅
I highly recommend warm shallow soaks in a hgh sided container providing hydration and a bit of exercise 3 times a week for around 30 mins.
Change substrate for orchid bark as the soil get trapped everywhere Inc the food and gets invested. This could cause impaction with a sandpit in the stomach.
Thank you so much. Is it abnormal that my tortoise is sleeping a lot more even though the eating pattern has stayed the same

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They sleep a lot but it is important to check the setup,heat, light and space. Your aiming for smooth slow growth. Provide a hide and low rocks to block end to end vision.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
You have a Russian tortoise. Please follow the above directions. Welcome to the forum

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello there! I’ve attached a link in your other thread I think you’ll find helpful to go over, I’ll include it here too🙂

‘Breeds’ of tortoise aren’t a thing, there’s different species, yours is a Russian tortoise, I believe in your other thread you mentioned they are a year old? Did you get a hatch date from where you got them? If not there’s no way to tell for absolute certain how old they are, but looking at the size of yours, they could well be a year old. There’s no way to know gender until they reach sexual maturity👍

If you could possibly include a bit more information on how they are kept that would be helpful in advising you too😊
What are your temps in the enclosure? Ie basking temp?(directly under the bulb) overall day temps and night temps?
What kind of lighting/heating? Packaging photos are good if you have them

A picture of your full set up would be good if you have some🙂

Nae_xx

London
Hello there! I’ve attached a link in your other thread I think you’ll find helpful to go over, I’ll include it here too🙂

‘Breeds’ of tortoise aren’t a thing, there’s different species, yours is a Russian tortoise, I believe in your other thread you mentioned they are a year old? Did you get a hatch date from where you got them? If not there’s no way to tell for absolute certain how old they are, but looking at the size of yours, they could well be a year old. There’s no way to know gender until they reach sexual maturity👍

If you could possibly include a bit more information on how they are kept that would be helpful in advising you too😊
What are your temps in the enclosure? Ie basking temp?(directly under the bulb) overall day temps and night temps?

Thank youu. In the day time i keep the enclosure at around 82 Fahrenheit and at night time it drops to around 75 fahrenheit i have a temperature thermometer thats Constantly checking the temperature I currently at the moment dont know other items and plants and objects that my tortoise can climb on to put into its enclosure so its currently quite basic
My tortoise does have a bark long under his light source. And his enclosure is quite large for his size im imaginging theres also natural sunlight that does come through a window thats close by

Thank you☺️. In the enclosure in the day time i keep the temperature around 82-84 fahrenheit and at night it drops to around 75 to 78 Fahrenheit my tortoise has a bark log located right about under the lamp in case my tortoise gets cold there’s also a covered section of the enclosure which is very dark relatively dark but he doesn’t tend to use it as often as he prefers to sleep in a corner that he had dug my biggest problem is that I think the substrate is too dry and dusty. there’s also a window quite close where natural sunlight enters any recommendation in what i should add im going to change the substratw definitely though and my tortoises water dish is quite shallow and I check on him quite a lot. I’ve never had any accidents of Him falling on his back

Attachments

• IMG_4976.jpeg
    IMG_4976.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4974.jpeg
    IMG_4974.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Nae_xx

London

I got told the hatch date was around about may the 20th 2023 then i got him a couple months after that

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank youu. In the day time i keep the enclosure at around 82 Fahrenheit and at night time it drops to around 75 fahrenheit i have a temperature thermometer thats Constantly checking the temperature I currently at the moment dont know other items and plants and objects that my tortoise can climb on to put into its enclosure so its currently quite basic
My tortoise does have a bark long under his light source. And his enclosure is quite large for his size im imaginging theres also natural sunlight that does come through a window thats close by

Thank you☺️. In the enclosure in the day time i keep the temperature around 82-84 fahrenheit and at night it drops to around 75 to 78 Fahrenheit my tortoise has a bark log located right about under the lamp in case my tortoise gets cold there’s also a covered section of the enclosure which is very dark relatively dark but he doesn’t tend to use it as often as he prefers to sleep in a corner that he had dug my biggest problem is that I think the substrate is too dry and dusty. there’s also a window quite close where natural sunlight enters any recommendation in what i should add im going to change the substratw definitely though and my tortoises water dish is quite shallow and I check on him quite a lot. I’ve never had any accidents of Him falling on his back
Any time! Day temps sound fine as long as they have that basking temperature of 95-100 directly under the bulb, night temp sounds fine too🙂

As first ports of call, yeah I’d get the substrate changed and add a greenhouse style topper to get humidity where it needs to be. I would definitely recommend changing the water dish, it’s not just depth of the water, it’s more that those kind of dishes lack any traction, in the event they did accidentally flip, they’d struggle to right themselves, those sides can also be tricky for them to navigate as opposed to a terracotta sitting flush with the substrate, the terracottas have the needed grip too🙂Once that is sorted I’d look into getting the Arcadia uv as soon as you’re able👍

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, what type of light is that?
How do you heat the enclosure at night?