Please tell me if my tortoise is a Horsefield or not?

jodieinacoma

Location (City and/or State)
England
I was told by someone on here that they didn't think my tortoise Henry is a Horsefield, which I'm quite worried about because he lives in the same tortoise table as my other tortoise who is most definitely a Horsefield. I've always been aware that they look a little different but didn't think much of it.
Here are a couple photos of him:
szfvj8.jpg

2mwyqtg.jpg

He wasn't very happy about this because he had just woken up.

Answers are very much appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, Jodie. I was obviously wrong. He looked different in the other picture you posted. Yes, he's a baby Horsefieldii.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is definitely a Testudo horsfieldii. The tortoise in the other picture, if I am remembering the correct thread, was a hermanni.

What I am surprised about is that you have a pair of russians living together with out a problem.

jodieinacoma

England
Yvonne G said:
I'm sorry, Jodie. I was obviously wrong. He looked different in the other picture you posted. Yes, he's a baby Horsefieldii.

Honestly this just panicked me a bit because I thought he looked a bit like a Hermann when I got first him! The pattern on his shell was just quite different to my other torts and he was much lighter in colour. Thought I best be sure. No need to apologise :) If I thought someone was mixing species accidentally I'd point it out too.

Tom said:
That is definitely a Testudo horsfieldii. The tortoise in the other picture, if I am remembering the correct thread, was a hermanni.

What I am surprised about is that you have a pair of russians living together with out a problem.

Which picture and thread, sorry? I do have problems. They're being separated as soon as possible, my boyfriend will be building them a nice big tortoise table which will be separated off down the middle with a plank of wood as a wall. This way they have completely their own space but I can put their lamp in the middle so that they both have light/heat and not have to buy another (can't afford 2 bulbs!)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry Jodie, I might have your thread confused with another. My apologies if that's the case. There was a thread with a pic of a hermanni and another pic of two red foots, but the OP called the hermanni a russian. I can't find it now, but it was within the last few days. If that was not you, I'm sorry for the confusion. (My confusion.)

Be careful you don't catch the top of the divider board on fire. For the wall to be tall enough to separate them, and the basking spots at floor level to be warm enough, the top of that board will have to be awfully close to that bulb. I don't think it will work. I think you will need two bulbs and two fixtures. Sorry.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tom did confuse the two ;) but no worries...

A second bulb and fixture is not expensive. I promise you can afford it. You probably spend more money on lunch at McDonalds. Buy a 65 watt flood lamp and a ceramic based dome fixture from WalMart. This is less than $15 for both.
Tom is right that hanging it over the divider wont work. You can't achieve the right basking spot temps if it's over a divider.

jodieinacoma

England
Team Gomberg said:
Tom did confuse the two ;) but no worries...

A second bulb and fixture is not expensive. I promise you can afford it. You probably spend more money on lunch at McDonalds. Buy a 65 watt flood lamp and a ceramic based dome fixture from WalMart. This is less than $15 for both.
Tom is right that hanging it over the divider wont work. You can't achieve the right basking spot temps if it's over a divider.

I live in Britain, we don't have a WalMart. The bulb I buy is both a heat bulb and UV in one, it costs £50 and it's the extra electricity my mum can't afford either. And I don't have a job. Looks like I might have to sell my baby for his health :( It'd break my heart but I don't have the money for them both if this is the case.

kezilulu

Hi hope you don't have to get rid of one just spotted these bulbs on offer on Amazon, are these like the ones you have?
xXx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1394575314.445686.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1394575314.445686.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 50

jodieinacoma

England
kezilulu said:
Hi hope you don't have to get rid of one just spotted these bulbs on offer on Amazon, are these like the ones you have?
xXx

I've decided to give him to my boyfriend, I had a talk with my mother but it's the electricity she can't afford unless I put money towards it which I can't afford to do either. Gonna miss him but I can still see him on weekends and he'll be taken good care of! He'll be much happier.