Pls help identify subspecie

Bluegeisha

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
I just got a baby Greek tortoise 2 weeks ago. Pls help me identify its subspecie so i can research further to be able to give him/her the appropriate care it needs to thrive. Thank you!3F99FA32-B35F-4E20-90BB-019B5D6EA879.jpeg283881D7-3048-483E-925B-C4B36C7CC058.jpeg4144C961-ABEE-48EE-AA56-00D98AF0F5C3.jpeg

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
I'm still struggling to identify the subspecies of my Greek and he is approx 15-20 years old!

It can be really tough as there are 12 common and some sources say as many as 20 subspecies. You may have to wait a bit to determine subspecies and definitely sex.

This guide has a info on each subspecies, but the coloration of the skin and shell will probably change as your tort ages so it will be tricky at best.

Sorry cant be more helpful. Good luck.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Bluegeisha

Philippines
@
I'm still struggling to identify the subspecies of my Greek and he is approx 15-20 years old!

It can be really tough as there are 12 common and some sources say as many as 20 subspecies. You may have to wait a bit to determine subspecies and definitely sex.

This guide has a info on each subspecies, but the coloration of the skin and shell will probably change as your tort ages so it will be tricky at best.

Sorry cant be more helpful. Good luck.

Wow, 15-20 years old?!? Did you have him since he was a baby? How big is he now?can you show a picture of him? I’m also curious as to how big my tort is going to be so that I can prepare for his future enclosure. I am just so happy I did some research before I got him coz I definitely am not in a position to take care of a bigger specie of tort just like the sulcata even though they’re popular here. So happy I got a greek which stays relatively small but is friendly and has a great personality.?

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Looks like a Testudo graeca ibera

Could be an ibera. They often have some darker markings around the head though like this

Attachments

• images.jpeg-3.jpg
    images.jpeg-3.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 8
  • images.jpeg-2.jpg
    images.jpeg-2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 9
  • images.jpeg-1.jpg
    images.jpeg-1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 9

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
I'm sorry to say I did not get him as a baby no...he was a rescue of sorts. Certainly tons of personality. He can be testy, I wouldnt say hes friendly, but he is quite the character and fun to watch. His name is Henri.

Attachments

• 20200311_183530.jpg
    20200311_183530.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 21

Bluegeisha

Philippines
@Randy Micheals mine is so far friendly as he allows me to pat/rub his head. I don’t know, but I really hope he stays like that as he grows. Yeah, they’re definitely fun to watch, and pretty relaxing too. Watching him calms me most especially now in this troubled times.?