Poop

Jbandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
So the other day I thought I saw 2 small rocks in my torts poop. When I soaked him again the next day I saw another small white rock. I'm thinking it's probably not a small rock because he hasn't been outside in a month because of the weather. He is also in coconut coir so there isn't any rocks in the cage. When I pull the weeds from outside I always cut off the roots and dirt. What are those small white rocks?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
They are small accretions of urea/urates. It tends to be a solid form of urine based on two sliding scales. One sliding scale is too much protein in the diet the other sliding scale is not enough water and perhaps fiber in the diet.

Neither 'scale' is likely to be the whole matter, and small bits here and there of solid white stuff are things to pay attention to, but not get excited (the bad kind).

Some people including semi knowledgeable veterinarians will suggest this is too much calcium in the diet, smarter better veterinarians say that is not the case. Enough people have done anecdotal testing of these bits of white stuff to clearly demonstrate it is not calcium from too much calcium in the diet.

When it can be a calcium associated product it is some form of an accretion made up of calcium as an oxalic acid compound.

Some of my terminology might not past muster with a chemist.

So to reduce these accretions the number one thing to do is make sure your tortoises is drinking. Some romaine in the diet forces water into the digestive track (some, not the whole diet). Cucumber can also do the same thing, again a small amount (2 or 3%) often well mixed in with other diet items will help hydrate. Cactus pad might be the best solution as it is about 90% water, has long fiber, and has a bunch of other gut health and nutritional attributes going for it.

You will hear many conflicting responses. More hydration is a first best thing to consider. Your questions can be better answered by including more information.

If you can, included images of the white stuff and the diet currently fed for additional more specific points of view.

Jbandy

5 Year Member
California
Today they are dark but hard as rocks. Mixed in with their poop. I'm 100%sure they aren't rocks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are rocks. Tortoises eat them when they are not getting enough fiber, or when they have a nutrient or mineral deficiency or imbalance, and some authors report they eat them to aid in digestion. The white ones were likely urates, which Will talked about, but also might have been white rocks.

I've seen items take as long as seven weeks to pass through a tortoise. A rock might take even longer since it can get lodged in the GI tract and food can pass it by.

Are you feeding mostly grocery store greens?
Are you soaking daily?
What are you supplementing with and how often?

Jbandy

5 Year Member
California
I feed them whatever my yard grows. When I go in the yard to pick the weeds/grass I always cut off the dirt and roots from the bottom. I'm positive they haven't eaten any rocks. They haven't been outside since September because it's way to cold for them. Sometimes my kids let them eat what they are eating when they are holding them. Bananas/ apples/ tomatoes but it's not very often they hold them and eat at the same.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those rocks could be from September.

I sometimes find little rocks like that in my substrate too.

Jbandy

5 Year Member
California
Ok. Thank you. I feel better now. I'm still going to soak them every day instead of every other day. Our bigger one closes his eyes and stretches out in the warm water. The other one spends the whole time trying to get out. She also pees on me every time she gets near the tub.