Pooping in cage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortisimo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
My russian tortoise has pooped in his cage. Not fun to clean up. But what I don't understand is the fact that I soaked him yesterday for almost an hour, and he was done pooping 15 min. into it. I haven't fed him since. Why would he poop all over his cage? Or is this just normal and am I overreacting?
thanks, mulli

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey, he has to go, when he has to go:D Normal though for some torts. Luckily my leopard has only gone in his soaks, ya, he's such a good boy:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Torts digestive system is likely clearing today what it ate a week or so ago....pooing in the enclosure=perfectly normal, well, until they invent a torti toilet ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What amazes me is the sheer volume of poop that can come out from one tortoise's shell. It seems to be far greater than would actually fit.

It's entirely normal. As others have said, pooping in the bath is no guarantee that they won't poop as soon as they're back on dry land... similarly, a pee in the bath is no guarantee that they won't pee down your leg as you carry them back to their enclosure.

Joe is quite large and I've had to change my jeans more than once when I've been caught out!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Well so far all my torts poo during soaking, except for my new leopards. They wake up very early compare to others, and they poo pretty soon after they wake up. So now they make me wake up earlier than them just to soak them and let them poo...

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Sometimes mine poops a lot in the soak, and sometimes only a little and I find more in the enclosure that evening.

Just because they're soaking doesn't mean they're ready to empty their bowels completely. They could still be in the process of digesting yesterday's food.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I don't care mind the poop in the enclosure, I just hate when it is in the water bowl, yuck!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Elsa almost always pees and poops in her food dish...and still eats the food anyway! :p Who needs Wheaties when you can have "Urine-Soaked Greens: The Breakfast of Champions!"

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
Moozilion said:
Elsa almost always pees and poops in her food dish...and still eats the food anyway! :p Who needs Wheaties when you can have "Urine-Soaked Greens: The Breakfast of Champions!"

:D I like that.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I would be more worried if he didn't poop in his cage! When you have to go you have to

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Rosie always poops right next to her food. Guess she's just making room for the new, out with the old! Today at the zoo I saw the size of poops the Galaps make and thought.. holy cow, those are squirrel sized!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
RosieRedfoot said:
Rosie always poops right next to her food. Guess she's just making room for the new, out with the old! Today at the zoo I saw the size of poops the Galaps make and thought.. holy cow, those are squirrel sized!

OMG!!! I don't even want to THINK about that!!! :)

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
JoesMum said:
What amazes me is the sheer volume of poop that can come out from one tortoise's shell. It seems to be far greater than would actually fit.

It's entirely normal. As others have said, pooping in the bath is no guarantee that they won't poop as soon as they're back on dry land... similarly, a pee in the bath is no guarantee that they won't pee down your leg as you carry them back to their enclosure.

Joe is quite large and I've had to change my jeans more than once when I've been caught out!

this made me chuckle out loud!! LOL

Amber_123

5 Year Member
It's very normal! Some torts even eat their own poop also! My tortoise does this!

Status
Not open for further replies.