Pop up green house final update

JDDV97

Location (City and/or State)
Houston Tx
Hello and thank you to everyone who helped me and creating this enclosure for my pet baby leopard tortoise. I created a 30inx30in base with 10 inch walls , sage flowers , Terra cotta dish, food dish ,basking stone , CHE emitter set to 80 thermostat , and a fullers 60 watt basking bulb 12 hr , cycle reptibark substrate , , humid hide hidden among the flowers , 2 digital thermometer, tempature gun, Cuttlebone, I put the base on 8 inch cinder blocks to get higher elavtion and placed a tarp on the base before I put the substrate . There’s littler passages between the flowers pots for shade and adventuring for him . I know I need to add a t5 10.0 but I have been giving him supervised 1hr sunlight a day . Any advice ? And thank you to everyone ! @Littleredfootbigredheart @Tom @wellington @Yvonne G @Tortellini0000 @Megatron's Mom @The_Four_Toed_Edward

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpeg
    IMG_2463.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2457.jpeg
    IMG_2457.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2464.jpeg
    IMG_2464.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a lucky little tortoise to have such a caring owner! You've really put in the time and effort there. I think your little baby will reward you with good health and steady growth.

JDDV97

Houston Tx
That's a lucky little tortoise to have such a caring owner! You've really put in the time and effort there. I think your little baby will reward you with good health and steady growth.
Thank you ! That means a lot coming from you !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't tell from the pic. Put your hand near the flowers and see how it feels. If you feel significant warmth, its probably going to kill the plants.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and thank you to everyone who helped me and creating this enclosure for my pet baby leopard tortoise. I created a 30inx30in base with 10 inch walls , sage flowers , Terra cotta dish, food dish ,basking stone , CHE emitter set to 80 thermostat , and a fullers 60 watt basking bulb 12 hr , cycle reptibark substrate , , humid hide hidden among the flowers , 2 digital thermometer, tempature gun, Cuttlebone, I put the base on 8 inch cinder blocks to get higher elavtion and placed a tarp on the base before I put the substrate . There’s littler passages between the flowers pots for shade and adventuring for him . I know I need to add a t5 10.0 but I have been giving him supervised 1hr sunlight a day . Any advice ? And thank you to everyone ! @Littleredfootbigredheart @Tom @wellington @Yvonne G @Tortellini0000 @Megatron's Mom @The_Four_Toed_Edward
Looking good! You should be very proud of yourself!! I can’t think of any suggestions looking at this, so long as all your levels are doing well, it looks perfect!🐢💚
Stupid question Are the flowers too close to heat emitter! Fire hazard ?
I wouldn’t worry about them necessarily being a fire hazard, though them being that close could significantly dry the top ones out, which could then become a bit of a hazard if they’re touching the bulb, I think if you push them to the side so they aren’t touching the bulb and preferably the fixture, that’d be good, I think just prepare that due to the heat, the top flowers will probably wilt faster than the bottom, they might die altogether but don’t be discouraged from playing around with the layout a bit to see what works best for keeping them going👍

JDDV97

Houston Tx
Looking good! You should be very proud of yourself!! I can’t think of any suggestions looking at this, so long as all your levels are doing well, it looks perfect!🐢💚

I wouldn’t worry about them necessarily being a fire hazard, though them being that close could significantly dry the top ones out, which could then become a bit of a hazard if they’re touching the bulb, I think if you push them to the side so they aren’t touching the bulb and preferably the fixture, that’d be good, I think just prepare that due to the heat, the top flowers will probably wilt faster than the bottom, they might die altogether but don’t be discouraged from playing around with the layout a bit to see what works best for keeping them going👍
Thank you so much for all your help ! I will monitor the gauges . Are the CHE and basking a good distance away ?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you so much for all your help ! I will monitor the gauges . Are the CHE and basking a good distance away ?
So long as the basking temperature directly under your basking bulb is reading 95-100f, and your ground temps are nice and stable (80’s)with the ceramic over night, the bulbs look a perfectly safe height😊
No problem at all! It’s been lovely watching you get this together🐢💚

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love it! As for the che and basking. Only you can tell. Put a thermometer under the basking and let it sit there for an hour. If it reaches between 95-100 it's good. If to hot, raise it, if too cold lower it.
As for the che, if temps are good at tortoise level all over, specially at night when basking is off then it's good. If temps are lower then 80 you might need a second che. I always had to use two. However, if he sleeps in one place and that area is 80 at night then it should be good unless you notice him wondering around at night when basking is off. Mine usually stayed in bed once they went.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I THINK you're going to be sorry you didn't bend the GH 's side walls in towards the middle. Condensation is going to accumulate on the inside and eventually run down and drip on the floor.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I THINK you're going to be sorry you didn't bend the GH 's side walls in towards the middle. Condensation is going to accumulate on the inside and eventually run down and drip on the floor.
I’d just add some more lining underneath to stop the condensation getting on the floor, could even pop some puppy pads under the blocks to absorb it lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought they were going to place a tarp on the floor, as the enclosure floor and place the wood sides just around the inside walls of the GH or at least for it all to sit on.

JDDV97

Houston Tx
I still have more tarp. Should I cover the carpet with with tarp ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have a hard time keeping humidity up, it's because there is to much room by the looks of it between the wood walls and GH walls.
At that point you can remove the wood box, add a tarp on the floor. Set GH on the tarp and tape the excess that goes past the GH to the outside of the GH.

JDDV97

Houston Tx
I thought they were going to place a tarp on the floor, as the enclosure floor and place the wood sides just around the inside walls of the GH or at least for it all to sit on.
It’s OK I wanted to raise the base off the floor for higher humidity: do you recommend I cover the carpet in tarp?

JDDV97

Houston Tx
Yes, I would. However, wait and see if the humidity holds. Read my post just before this one.
Understood if I can’t keep the humidity down, I will remove the cement blocks and wooden box and place the tarp on the floor and tape the excess on the outside to the greenhouse frame to eliminate any cracks and crevices