Positive associations?

JackieJax

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Grand Terrace
So I've been trying to bribe Tortimer to "like" me... or at least have a positive association with me. He has all of his needs met... night box, day shed, large grass and tortiose/cat friendly plant covered backyard, well fed.
He doesn't like me petting his shell (no way he'll let me pet his legs/neck). If I do pet his shell, he grunts and turns his back on me. If I have his favorite treats, he will come up to it and take it, but only if it's watermelon on a super hot day. (100+ days) Usually he just looks at me and the treat and won't come.
That being said, he will happily go up to cats and rub himself on them. Or rest next to them. He doesn't try to bite them or anything. He often seems to enjoy "chasing" them as well.
(Mini background. He's a rescue and I've only had him for about a year and hes approximately 6 years old)

Have any of you "bonded" with an older tortiose that started out not liking people? For those of you who are able to pet your tortiose and have them enjoy it... how did you go about convincing them they'll like it? Lol I have thought about dressing up in a furry costume, but they're pretty pricy and I'm sure my neighbors would think im crazy since I already feed the neighborhood stray cats and have 3 of my own

ElliMae

Hagerstown
So I've been trying to bribe Tortimer to "like" me... or at least have a positive association with me. He has all of his needs met... night box, day shed, large grass and tortiose/cat friendly plant covered backyard, well fed.
He doesn't like me petting his shell (no way he'll let me pet his legs/neck). If I do pet his shell, he grunts and turns his back on me. If I have his favorite treats, he will come up to it and take it, but only if it's watermelon on a super hot day. (100+ days) Usually he just looks at me and the treat and won't come.
That being said, he will happily go up to cats and rub himself on them. Or rest next to them. He doesn't try to bite them or anything. He often seems to enjoy "chasing" them as well.
(Mini background. He's a rescue and I've only had him for about a year and hes approximately 6 years old)

Have any of you "bonded" with an older tortiose that started out not liking people? For those of you who are able to pet your tortiose and have them enjoy it... how did you go about convincing them they'll like it? Lol I have thought about dressing up in a furry costume, but they're pretty pricy and I'm sure my neighbors would think im crazy since I already feed the neighborhood stray cats and have 3 of my own
Snobby Tortimer! I think you should definitely get a furry cat costume and see how he acts..don't forget to record a video! To hell with what the neighbors think ???? I KNOW my neighbors think I'm nutts the way I'm out in my yard talking and singing to my cheekens, and chasing them around saying "stop running and let me LOVE you!" ???

JackieJax

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Grand Terrace
Snobby Tortimer! I think you should definitely get a furry cat costume and see how he acts..don't forget to record a video! To hell with what the neighbors think ???? I KNOW my neighbors think I'm nutts the way I'm out in my yard talking and singing to my cheekens, and chasing them around saying "stop running and let me LOVE you!" ???
Oooo I do believe that I need a video of you doing all of that... purely for academic purposes

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
OK. It looks to me as if in fact, the tortoise cannot stand your cats. He is rubbing against them to try to move them out of his way, and then he chases them for the same reason. He actually likes you, so he does not do these things to you. You see? it's all perception.
In any case, to appease your cats, you can get a tortoise costume and allow them to rub against you.