Help please! (Hut not warm enough?)

Sammboslice

Location (City and/or State)
Lawton Oklahoma
I have a 10lb-ish sulcata. And i am afraid hes not getting the heat he needs inside. I made him a hut with 100watt heat emitter and i feel its not warm enough for him. So i have a 250watt night heat emitter too, should i use that? And how hot does it get? I have 2 water turtles, ive never had a tortiose so thanks for the help!
P.s. also his shell is pyramiding is that normal for growth?

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Do you have any way of reading the temperature? Basking spots should be around 95 F.

Pyramiding is cosmetic, and isn't harmful unless in extreme cases. It's seen a lot in captive raised tortoises generally from a lack of humidity at an early age. There's nothing you can do to reverse it, but you can promote proper/smooth growth by providing humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So are you saying he's outside and has a hut that you've heated? Is the hut insulated? Can we see pictures? We'll be better able to help you if we can see what we're dealing with.

Sammboslice

Lawton Oklahoma
This is his wooden hut i made him. And his heat emitter i place on top over him. He is an inside sulcata at the moment. I do not have a thermometer yet. I will get one tomorrow. I just feel his 100w isnt so hot when i put my hand near it. I also attatched pictures!

15434302319407971348024722697361.jpg 15434303618053513974480707907894.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a 10lb-ish sulcata. And i am afraid hes not getting the heat he needs inside. I made him a hut with 100watt heat emitter and i feel its not warm enough for him. So i have a 250watt night heat emitter too, should i use that? And how hot does it get? I have 2 water turtles, ive never had a tortiose so thanks for the help!
P.s. also his shell is pyramiding is that normal for growth?
I don't know anything about your type of tortoise. Tortoise Forum can help you with that way more then me. But I can tell you this: If the hut is on the floor at ground level it's going to be difficult to keep your tortoise warm enough through the winter. You would have a better chance with a tortoise table or a second story home.