Concerns about everything Mr. T is almost 2 yrs old

Anna Allen

Hello, I've had my sulcata tortious for almost 2 years now. When I got him (I'm guessing it's a him) there were actually 2 but one never acted right from day one, very slow, didn't eat, and sadly passed away after a few weeks. They were both newborns. I reveived them as a gift for my sons birthday and of course I am the caretaker (my son was 5 when we got them). I've done huge amounts of research but fear now there is someone wrong with him. There are no vets in our area that know much about them so I came to you all.

For the past few months I have not need seen him eat. His energy is way low, not pooping, doesn't seem to be growing, and just doesn't seem happy.

My husband built an amazing enclosure for him and he has plenty of room to roam, a hut included along with a heat lamp. He can 100% get away from the heat in his hut. He has a shallow bowl of water and since his enclosure is all sand his lettuce is on a shallow plate. I put him in warm water 2-3 times a week until he walks out, maybe 15 mins or so. So here are all my concerns:

#1 I've had him in sand that is meant for tortiouses but is that the best bedding for him?

#2 I'm afraid because of the sand that maybe he's impacted?!? How do I know?

#3 what do I do if he is impacted?

#4 I've tried different suggested lettuces but the past 6 months he hasn't ate good so idk what he likes...I've stuck with romain lettuce as his primary food..is that ok?

#5 I'm afraid of soaking him too much and giving him a respiratory infection...so how do I soak him to avoid that?

Any help or suggestions? Thank you for taking the time to read this and help me.

Anna Allen

So far from other things I've read I'll start soaking him a couple hours a day until he's bowls get moving...but with the water do I keep changing it so it stays warm? I can maybe get a 1/2 inch of water in a bowl before it covers his nose...do I only use a 1/2 inch of water?

I also read (and did) put him in the bathtub tonight to let him walk around and see if that helps get things moving but he acted like he didn't like it and kept walking to the deep end, the started sneezing because water got in his nose :/

I don't want to stress him out but I know something is wrong.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston, Tx
Aloe Vera & pumpkin are good for getting things moving (bowels).
Sand isn't good for sullies, you can try coconut coir, which you can get from a pet smart or petco. Can you add a picture? It'll help us get a better idea of whether the tort is staying hydrated enough. Have you weighed him? Sorry so many questions

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I've had my sulcata tortious for almost 2 years now. When I got him (I'm guessing it's a him) there were actually 2 but one never acted right from day one, very slow, didn't eat, and sadly passed away after a few weeks. They were both newborns. I reveived them as a gift for my sons birthday and of course I am the caretaker (my son was 5 when we got them). I've done huge amounts of research but fear now there is someone wrong with him. There are no vets in our area that know much about them so I came to you all.

For the past few months I have not need seen him eat. His energy is way low, not pooping, doesn't seem to be growing, and just doesn't seem happy.

My husband built an amazing enclosure for him and he has plenty of room to roam, a hut included along with a heat lamp. He can 100% get away from the heat in his hut. He has a shallow bowl of water and since his enclosure is all sand his lettuce is on a shallow plate. I put him in warm water 2-3 times a week until he walks out, maybe 15 mins or so. So here are all my concerns:

#1 I've had him in sand that is meant for tortiouses but is that the best bedding for him?

#2 I'm afraid because of the sand that maybe he's impacted?!? How do I know?

#3 what do I do if he is impacted?

#4 I've tried different suggested lettuces but the past 6 months he hasn't ate good so idk what he likes...I've stuck with romain lettuce as his primary food..is that ok?

#5 I'm afraid of soaking him too much and giving him a respiratory infection...so how do I soak him to avoid that?

Any help or suggestions? Thank you for taking the time to read this and help me.

Hello and welcome Anna. You've gotten some bad advice. Don't feel bad though. You are not alone. Most of the care info for this species floating around out there is wrong. We will help.

Let me start with your questions:
1. Sand should never be used. That is probably the worst substrate to use. Sorry. You got bad info there.
2. He is likely to be impacted. An X-ray will confirm or deny.
3. Soaking, vibration, certain foods, exercise, and if needed surgery.
4. Lettuce of any kind is not a good diet for any tortoise. It is not toxic, but it doesn't give them what they need.
5. Soaking doesn't cause respiratory infections, and letting them walk out of a shallow bowl is not "soaking". Use a tall sided opaque tub and the water should come 1/3 to 1/2 way up the tortoise. Keep it warm with a heating pad, the sun, refreshing the water periodically, or soaking somewhere warm. The bathtub works well and all that marching will help get things moving in the GI tract.

What size enclosure is he in?
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?
What type of bulbs are you using for heating and lighting? UV? Coil type or cfl?

Here is the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Anna Allen

Wow I've been doing everything wrong!! :(

Thank you for such a quick responses. I did remove all his sand last night and this morning he did have some bowel movements

When soaking them it's ok to cover their nose? I always get so nervous cause he sneezes or makes weird noises.

Anna Allen

Under his uv light the temp get up to 80ish. I'll attach a photo of his enclosure. The rest is just room hair from the home.

I'm trying to send photos but my phone is acting up...I'll keep trying

Mattt0192

5 Year Member
Summerville, SC
Wow I've been doing everything wrong!! :(

Thank you for such a quick responses. I did remove all his sand last night and this morning he did have some bowel movements

When soaking them it's ok to cover their nose? I always get so nervous cause he sneezes or makes weird noises.
Please don't cover his nose. Mine make all kinds of strange noises when I soak them, it's normal.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That table is not adequate for a Sulcata tortoise heat and humidity needs, please read those links above.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamps 75 or 100 watts
That doesn't give the tort the UVB needed, nor are you using anything for night heat. He must be kept above 80 at all times and that's not going to happen an open top enclosure. I see no food or water dish, were they taken out for the pictures? I would really recommend reading all theards linked and making changes asap. At almost 2 he should be a lot bigger.

Anna Allen

That table is not adequate for a Sulcata tortoise heat and humidity needs, please read those links above.

It's empty right now since I took all the sand out...now I'll fill it with the recommended/proper bedding. I was showing the photo to show what I'm starting with now

Anna Allen

That doesn't give the tort the UVB needed, nor are you using anything for night heat. He must be kept above 80 at all times and that's not going to happen an open top enclosure. I see no food or water dish, were they taken out for the pictures? I would really recommend reading all theards linked and making changes asap. At almost 2 he should be a lot bigger.

Yes I took out the water and food because I removed all the sand and now am preparing the proper setting for him.

Anna Allen

Yes I took out the water and food because I removed all the sand and now am preparing the proper setting for him.

I thought I read to turn the light off at night? Our house stays at 72 degrees so I assumed that was warm enough through the night?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
They need dark and warmth at night. 72F is too cold. You need something to keep the temperatures up to at least 80F at night. What you use for this will depend on how your enclosure is designed, but ceramic heat emitters on thermostats are popular choices.