Just checking to make sure I'm doing everything right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandlerpeanuts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Big Pine Key, Florida
I brought home a baby sulcata a week ago, he's the first tortoise that I've ever owned and I want to make sure I'm doing everything that I'm supposed to in order to keep him healthy and happy.
I live in the Florida Keys so it's quite warm here year round, but since he's still a hatchling he has an indoor enclosure for now. He does however, go outside at least once a day for around 20 minutes each time. This is primarily when he eats, he grazes my yard and eats mostly clover and weeds, but I've seen him eat grass once or twice. I'm having a hard time getting him to eat indoors, which I'm attributing to him still adjusting to new surroundings. When I do feed him inside he gets grasses and clovers brought in from the yard, as well as a little bit of organic lettuce and spring mix.
His enclosure is about 3x2 feet, which isn't as big as I'd like but since he's still small it'll work for now. I plan to upgrade sometime soon, as well as build an enclosure in the backyard for him to stay in during the day.
He has two hides, a half log structure and an empty clay flower pot, as well as some space underneath two plants that he can hide in if he wants to. There's also a water bowl in the corner of the enclosure that is always full of water, but there are pebbles in the bottom for him to stand on and not be entirely submerged.
Right now his "humid hide" is at 80 degrees and at almost 80% humidity. The warmest part of his enclosure is at around 99-101 degrees, however it's hard to maintain any moisture in that part of the enclosure due to the heat. The cooler area is at around 79-81 degrees and is at 70% humidity. The lamp is on for around 12 hours a day, and at night the temperatures are around 68-70 degrees.
To maintain humidity, I just mist the entire enclosure several times a day, and I mist the tortoise's carapace each time I do so (he does not appreciate this.) There's not a lid to go over the enclosure, is this something I should look into?
I soak him in a tub of very shallow warm water underneath the heat lamp for about 10 minutes everyday, which is usually when he excretes waste. This is apparently normal, and I change the water out after that. I've also found him soaking in his water dish once on his own accord, but I'm not sure if that's harmful or not because the water isn't very warm.
As for his health, so far he appears to be doing okay. He sleeps a lot, but I've read that most babies do, and he's the most active when I take him outside. He's done what I believe is sneezing a few times, but I've also read that even healthy tortoises sometimes sneeze.
He does do this odd thing that I've never seen anyone else talk about, and he's done it since the day I brought him home on 9/2. He turns his head to the side and scratches his face on his arms. I'm not sure why he does this, but I'm hoping it's not anything serious.
Anyways, I'll post photos of his enclosure and of him, and any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!:)

IMG_7374.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

gage.jpg

IMG_8710.jpg

IMG_7834.jpg

chandlerpeanuts

5 Year Member
Big Pine Key, Florida
I've also begun to try and feed him hibiscus leaves, but we don't have any flowers on our bush because of the iguanas in the yard that get to them before I can.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Congrats on the new shelled buddy.
And great intro post. You gave a lot of details and that is incredibly helpful to us who would like to answer your questions :)

I do not keep any sulcatas but I do have leopards and they benefit from the same care. I'll share what I can and hope that it helps you.

If they are accurate, I like your numbers.. But considering your low sided enclosure I'm not surprised that you have to spray multiple times in a day to achieve them. I suggest you do look into the "lid" option. Either use a higher sided tote with the lid, opt for a covered aquarium or better yet use a closed chamber. Instead of turning your whole house into "Africa" you can just convert his space by using a closed off enclosure. We know these guys hatch out in the hot, humid and rainy African season so those are the conditions we try to mimic to achieve the same naturally smooth growth as the wild ones. This environment is easy to set up and maintain when you dont have an open top.

Now the reason I said "if your numbers are accurate" is because I notice the analog thermometer at the top. I don't find them to be very accurate and it isn't in an ideal place for measuring. Also, you mention not eating inside. That further leads me to believe he is too cool to eat. Get some digital probe thermometer and a digital hydrometer to make sure those are in fact your numbers.

chandlerpeanuts

5 Year Member
Big Pine Key, Florida
Team Gomberg said:
Congrats on the new shelled buddy.
And great intro post. You gave a lot of details and that is incredibly helpful to us who would like to answer your questions :)

I do not keep any sulcatas but I do have leopards and they benefit from the same care. I'll share what I can and hope that it helps you.

If they are accurate, I like your numbers.. But considering your low sided enclosure I'm not surprised that you have to spray multiple times in a day to achieve them. I suggest you do look into the "lid" option. Either use a higher sided tote with the lid, opt for a covered aquarium or better yet use a closed chamber. Instead of turning your whole house into "Africa" you can just convert his space by using a closed off enclosure. We know these guys hatch out in the hot, humid and rainy African season so those are the conditions we try to mimic to achieve the same naturally smooth growth as the wild ones. This environment is easy to set up and maintain when you dont have an open top.

Now the reason I said "if your numbers are accurate" is because I notice the analog thermometer at the top. I don't find them to be very accurate and it isn't in an ideal place for measuring. Also, you mention not eating inside. That further leads me to believe he is too cool to eat. Get some digital probe thermometer and a digital hydrometer to make sure those are in fact your numbers.

I'm thinking of getting a piece of plexiglass cut to fit over the tub, that way the humidity can be easily maintained. It's not so hard to keep the substrate damp in the section that doesn't receive direct heat from the lamp, but hopefully with something over the top, even the warm section will be humid. :)

As for the thermometers and hydrometers, I plan on getting some as soon as I get paid. The analog reader was just a temporary addition to the enclosure, since it somewhat met my basic needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.