Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Marty333 said:
I am trying my best! OK! I dont want him to die either! I cant drive If I could I would go there! My parents aren't willing to drive me! Im sitting on this computer waiting fro the vet to respond to my email! It upsets me so much because you are barely sympathetic!
Marty, It could be at the end of the day or even on Monday before he checks his e-mails. I think those of us following this thread feel fustrated with you and are getting upset. I wish you the best.

franeich

5 Year Member
I am definitely no expert but I doubt at this point the vet will be able to do anything and if he can do something it will probably me too expensive for you to afford. Maybe you should try your best on your own and save your money for a new tortoise and learn from your mistakes.

Also lets try to remember she is a 15 year old who has to rely 100% on her parents.

franeich

5 Year Member
Maybe handle him a little less. Dont feed weeds from the park you picked them at. I wonder if they use some sort of fertilizer there. That is when this all seems to have started.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Marty333 said:
Well I cant se him anyway until monday. I am getting frustrated with some of you guys also.

You should not get frustrated you asked for advice people gave it now you don't want to hear it is only people's opinion's just tring to help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Katerina:

Just continue to soak him in bird vitamin water and administer the liquid calcium. From his symptoms, he's suffering from MBD. This makes it hurt to move his legs. Plus, he needs the UVB from that new light to make the calcium work. Just continue that regimen and keep him warm. We are all hoping for the best for you and Chevy. I doubt the vet will do anything different. The only thing is, he might give a calcium injection. But its just as good to give it orally. So keep your hopes up.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Hi Katerina, I think that you're doing everything that you can possibly do right now. I really do not like some of the comments that have been made, but I won't address them. I am not sure what a vet can do right now anyway. I would try to talk to the vet, and see what he says. This may be a failure to thrive situation. Regardless of what happens, I think that you have done everything correctly. Good luck with him, and try to ignore the heartless comments.

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't call me unsympathetic Katerina. I have stuck up for you from the very beginning. I have argued with other TFO members while I stuck up for you. Now what I see is a little tortoise dying because his caretaker didn't do anything. When Danny told you to start soaking him in bird vitamins and feeding liquid Calcium did you? No. Are you now feeding him liquid calcium? No. Had you done that way back when we told you Chevy might have lived. But you didn't do that and now he dying.
I frankly am very tired of the newbies who get a Sulcata hatchling and come on to TFO when he's not looking so good and we get involved and they die. Time after time that happens, and it's wearing on some of us. I can count the hatchlings who have died just in the last couple of weeks, and it is very upsetting to those of us who try to help, we offer excellent advice and the keeper doesn't do what we advise and we have another dead hatchling.
So don't tell me I am unsympathetic because I am the one who stuck up for you from the very beginning and now I am the one who's crying because "now he can't use his front legs"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's pretty harsh, Maggie. How do you know that Katerina hasn't followed Danny's advice?

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
So, I just read most of this thread and I'm really pissed at some of these people's responses. I TOTALLY understand your situation, I'm 15 too and I rely on my parents for money for my pets since nobody in my town hires 15 year olds :/ I think that the vet will be too much money for you, when you do go to the vet ask about some sort of payment plan so you can afford it. I'm 15 and I come from a low income family, so I have to pray that none of my animals will get sick. But, I'm sure my dad would pull through for me because he knows my passion for animals.

If Chevy doesn't pull through (which I'm sure he will!) try getting an older tort? Like an juvenile, then you don't have worry about how much you handle him and stuff. I've read a bunch of posts about people yelling at you and stuff for having little Chevy, I may not be a tortoise expert but I'm sure it's not your fault he's sick. Hatchlings are unpredictable, so maybe an older tort will be easier to handle. Usually it's better for first-time owners.

And to all the rude people on here, SERIOUSLY?! Marty is 15!!!!! Back off, your how old? It's not fair when experienced tort owners pick on younger tort owners. Luckily, most people on this forum don't do that!

Chevy is in my prayers, and Rambo's too :)

franeich

5 Year Member
Wow Maggie. I think you are just trying to be mean at this point. This is an emotional 15 year old girl. Very sad because her pet is possible dying. I dont think this is what she needs right now. She is upset because she feels helpless. She is limited in what she can do because she has to rely on her parents. I think you should not post on this thread unless you have something constructive to say at this point. No more little girl bashing for you.

M

Maggie Cummings

I repeat I apologize for what I have said, and I will back out of this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.