Alarming behavior in hatchling

SweetKaykes

Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham, WA
Well that's good lol I got into troubled one day because I had ordered a bunch of sulcata food seed mix that I can plant until next summer. I had done it after I had took my meds and I don't remember anything, but nyx has a huge amount of seed mix for next year though! I also, know nothing about growing weeds and grasses.

Haha! That’s funny! I planted a bunch of seed mix into Kame’s Home a couple days ago and there are a bunch sprouting up now!

drew54

Indiana
Haha! That’s funny! I planted a bunch of seed mix into Kame’s Home a couple days ago and there are a bunch sprouting up now!
Within a week it should be about 3" . Some seed mix grows fast, but it's hard to keep it growing.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
We've had a lot of nay sayers when we bad mouth the compact fluorescent lights. Your story is one more testimonial on the 'get rid of 'em' side! Glad he 's getting better!

OK... I just have to respond.

They type of bulb used here was a looped bulb. Used vertically in a dome like it is here it will give a UVI reading of 1.0 at 4" when new!!! It is designed to be used horizontally in an aquarium type hood fixture and will then give a UVI of around 2.5 at 6"-8". The bulb here was mounted at least 20" above tortoise level. You would not have gotten a UVI reading at all at that distance. zero!! The testimonial here is that when a compact bulb is anywhere, other more realistic issues that are addressed and corrected are then discounted.

SweetKaykes

Bellingham, WA
OK... I just have to respond.

They type of bulb used here was a looped bulb. Used vertically in a dome like it is here it will give a UVI reading of 1.0 at 4" when new!!! It is designed to be used horizontally in an aquarium type hood fixture and will then give a UVI of around 2.5 at 6"-8". The bulb here was mounted at least 20" above tortoise level. You would not have gotten a UVI reading at all at that distance. zero!! The testimonial here is that when a compact bulb is anywhere, other more realistic issues that are addressed and corrected are then discounted.

It was down closer to tortoise level before I read about the coil lights and I slid it up higher when I read how bad they were.
I couldn’t get the new light until the next day and decided to just keep it off completely until I could get the t5 put in the next day. He was already showing signs of improvements and wiping at his eyes a lot less before the t5 was even set up. I think this in itself showed me that the bulb was definitely effecting his eyes.
Not to say that the things you are saying aren’t true as well, just stating that even when the bulb was lower to where it’s supposed to be, it posed a problem that needed to be fixed.

TheWaveCarver

New York
Could the wiping of the face also a be from having fungus growing on the front legs of the tortoise? I noticed my Cherryhead was wiping his face, some of the scales on the front of his legs had turned from red to white. I applied some of the anti-fungal cream you can get at CVS to the spots. His scales turned back to red almost immediately a couple days later and he stopped wiping his face.

Could they be using their face to scratch the front of their legs?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I just know how he has been acting everyday, and how the last 2 days he has not been good.

The light is about 18” up, but I will replace it immediately.

I have a ceramic heater for his basking spot

He is not closed top, and I was not interested in one at first, but now I’m thinking it might be a good idea. We have this room set up with heat and humidity, like an indoor garden, all remote controlled. I have the read on the floor next to his area. I also have a little humidifier set up in the room. I have taken a picture to show you what it says the room is. I also have a thermometer gun to read the temps in his area.

I have been spraying everything down multiple times a day, although it dries out pretty quickly under the basking spot.

I will research more about tortoise town, I really didn’t think to do that before. They seemed knowledgeable and we bought food and seeds from them.

View attachment 258934
I bought a tub and was using not enclosed. Then I found TFO so to enclose the tub I built 2 1×4 frames and put wire mesh on them then cut plywood inserts to cover the mesh. I put a furniture trolley under it to get it off the ground and can roll it around. Its not the best way but it holds humidity great if you paint the wood. I also use coco coir but I put cypress chips on top. Definitely helps keep the coir off of Opo.20181125_124840.jpg 20180307_122645.jpg Anyways welcome and know your in the right place.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I do not know his exact age, but he fits in the palm of my hand and I have small hands. I would guess a few months old. We just got him a couple weeks ago. We bought him from tortoisetown.com. Which surprisingly is where I got most of my outdated information.
Tortoisetown is garbage. I only hear negative stuff from them.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yeah! His name is Kame. (Caw-May). It means tortoise in Japanese.
I feel so happy he is getting used to my voice! As soon as I walk into his room and say hi he runs over to where I feed him. Lol.
Yep it's all about the food. LOL
It is amazing the personality they develop. They are amazing creatures.
Nice name!

Obbie

Minnesota
Here is what the thermometer reads at floor level.
Holy Man !!! I’ve never seen such a great habit !! Thanks oh , your question helped me out. I started 6 months before I got Emi
learning more all the time. I’m hoping that mine was a humidity problem.