Behavior Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urtle

5 Year Member
Hope all is well with everybody, I was wondering why my big sulcata tortoise is not exploring as much in his enclosure. He has a pretty big enclosure but tends to stay on one side, walking back and forth for hours generally. I feed him everyday, although he has plenty of grass to graze on, but now Im thinking maybe he's become used to the daily feeding and just avoids exploring out for food. What could this mean?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He may be bored. Can you change up his enclosure. Add logs, add sight barriers, spread his favorite food around the enclosure so he has to look for it. See what others suggest.

Urtle

5 Year Member
wellington said:
He may be bored. Can you change up his enclosure. Add logs, add sight barriers, spread his favorite food around the enclosure so he has to look for it. See what others suggest.

I was thinking that today. Ill have to give it a try, btw what do you mean by sight barriers?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
place a barrier where he is walking to see if he will go around it.. some pace more then others.. sometimes its a phaze.. try feeding in other areas.. or if he has plenty of graze.. dont feed him. he will spend his time eating instead.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Urtle said:
... He has a pretty big enclosure but tends to stay on one side, walking back and forth for hours generally..

You mean like this?:

dudleys2-track.jpg

Its a little hard to see because the line of shade is right on the edge of the track on the right, but this is Dudley's 2-track. He will occasionally go around that little tree, but usually its just back and forth along the fence line. I think if we were to re-name the sulcata it would have to be something like walks-along-the-fenceline.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
You mean like this?:

Its a little hard to see because the line of shade is right on the edge of the track on the right, but this is Dudley's 2-track. He will occasionally go around that little tree, but usually its just back and forth along the fence line. I think if we were to re-name the sulcata it would have to be something like walks-along-the-fenceline.

That is a great picture Yvonne! Your place must be really cool!

Urtle

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Urtle said:
... He has a pretty big enclosure but tends to stay on one side, walking back and forth for hours generally..

You mean like this?:

dudleys2-track.jpg

loll thats a great example. Wonderful looking yard. Thats exactly what I mean.

I like his name its unique as it is loll

Urtle

5 Year Member
So after about a 4-5 days of not feeding my big guy I have noticed he's stopped walking back and forth along the wall of his enclosure all day. Now he explores the yard and from what i've seen grazes on grass here and there. I feel much better this way because he doesn't seem stressed or bored. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.