Tortoise *still* not eating

starsong96

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
So I posted a thread a while back about my new baby Sulcata Waffle not eating his grass. So going off advice I switched him to his old diet of Mazuri tortoise food. Now he still isn't eating. This is the main problem, but what I can't help but be worried about is he is sleeping literally all. the. time. the only time my little tort is wide awake and eating and exploring is when I take him out in the sunshine. Only problem is it's December and I live in VA. With it being 80 degrees currently I have had him outside a lot.
So here is his stats:
80% Humidity.
105 degree hotspot, 80 degree cool spot.
Main heat source is a MVB, and he has an UTH for night time.
Doesn't have a CHE since he is kept in the reptile room at a steady 80 degrees all day long and year round.
He gets soaked every morning when the lights come on and every night before I tuck him away in his humid hide.
Currently in a 20 gal long tank with a covered top for humidity.
What do I do now...?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
How are you measuring temps? Ground level will be cooler. A temp gun is recommended. These problems are usually because they are cold. Your temps sound good, so I am not sure what else to suggest. Plants for cover to make him feel safer maybe, if you don't have them. Maybe he is eating all he needs outside and is just ready to sleep inside.

starsong96

Virginia
How are you measuring temps? Ground level will be cooler. A temp gun is recommended. These problems are usually because they are cold. Your temps sound good, so I am not sure what else to suggest. Plants for cover to make him feel safer maybe, if you don't have them. Maybe he is eating all he needs outside and is just ready to sleep inside.
I have temp gauges close to the ground. Don't have a temp gun yet but am definitely saving for one. He has a little patch of fescue I planted along the front of the enclosure, and a few spider plants throughout. Oh and he also has an under tank heater under his cage that keeps the temps of the substrate at 80 degrees (without the heat lamp)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Has your tortoise gained weight, or, as a result of not eating inside has it lost weight?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old is the tortoise?

Where did you get it?

What does the tortoise weigh?

starsong96

Virginia
Has your tortoise gained weight, or, as a result of not eating inside has it lost weight?
From the time I got him (November 20) To today, he gained a couple grams at first, and today when weighed he lost 3 grams from his previous weight, leaving him at 28 grams. I don't know whether that is a lot or a little, he's so small.
Honestly, I made a mistake when getting my tortoise. I got him from backwater reptiles. I have gotten healthy animals from them before so I took the risk. Not a good excuse I know, nothing can be done now.
How old is he? Hmm well since he was labeled a 'hatchling' when I bought him, and I have had him a month, I would guess at little over a month old.
And yes that would indeed be my original post.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

starsong96

Virginia
OK, *edit, upon re-reading article she has a great deal of symptoms, excluding shell color change, and refusal to open the eyes. The shell is not 'squishy' so much as it it soft* I immediately went and I've got Waffle here in a nice warm soak. What do you suggest I do, I'm hoping it isn't too late to turn things around for my little tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK, she doesn't have all the symptoms in your article. The only one that stood out to me is the slightly softer shell, decreased appetite, and lethargy. I immediately went and I've got Waffle here in a nice warm soak. What do you suggest I do, I'm hoping it isn't too late to turn things around for my little tort.

If too much damage was done at the breeders by chronic dehydration, before you even got your tortoise, there is nothing you or anyone else can do. All you can do at this point is offer the best temperatures, conditions and hydration you can and hope for the best.

I would contact the breeder or seller and let them know what is happening in an effort to prevent more of this for more people.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
When you first got the tortoise it was eating Mazuri. Will it still eat Mazuri?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I picked up a few at LOWES for Christmas gifts.
They are about $20 each. (temperature guns)
Ask for Non-Contact laser thermometers.
I went to Home Depot and Lowes to get couple extras (thermo/hygrometers) and didn't see infrared. The staff there didn't know wth I was talking about and just pointed me to where they keep the "weather centers". I was also looking for couple of thermostats, and didn't find any that day. I know they have all that I just didn't have the time to walk all over the huge store that day

starsong96

Virginia
When you first got the tortoise it was eating Mazuri. Will it still eat Mazuri?
I have not witnessed him eating it, so I know that much. I also know it never seemed to go away like he was eating it, so I want to say no he didn't eat it. He also wouldn't eat any romaine lettuce mixed in with the mazuri. He does graze a little when he's outside before he falls asleep again.

Morzan

5 Year Member
I went to Home Depot and Lowes to get couple extras (thermo/hygrometers) and didn't see infrared. The staff there didn't know wth I was talking about and just pointed me to where they keep the "weather centers". I was also looking for couple of thermostats, and didn't find any that day. I know they have all that I just didn't have the time to walk all over the huge store that day
Home depot has a ryobi product that measures temperatures and distances in their hardware department for about $20. You should find a digital humidity monitor by Acurite in the garden department for under $10, I think. I hope your tortoise has shown some improvement.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I have not witnessed him eating it, so I know that much. I also know it never seemed to go away like he was eating it, so I want to say no he didn't eat it. He also wouldn't eat any romaine lettuce mixed in with the mazuri. He does graze a little when he's outside before he falls asleep again.
Start doing soaks with carrot baby food mixed in the warm water. They can absorb the nutrients through their cloaca and if your little one drinks any of the water, even better!
I looked for threads with more details but I can't find them at the moment, I think it was @Yvonne G that I remember speaking on it? She has probably forgotten more than I will ever know about caring for less than healthy torts.