please advise asap (tortoise got cold)

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hi my turtle was under the trailer and we couldn't get to him, temperature was 52 degrees, we just put him in an 80 degree environment in his house, he was out for a few hours in the 52 degree please advise what should i do what can I do for him he's not moving much

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Give him some time to warm up. You want him to warm up slowly. He's pretty good size isn't he?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
he's about 20 inches around 30 pounds, he's a moron. Lol he should know better usually he walks in his heated house, but today he was under the trailer and we just could not get to him...
I will check later again but I'm sure he's not going to move too much also because its night time and he's always super lazy and grumpy
you think he gonna be fine?

Zeko

5 Year Member
hi my turtle was under the trailer and we couldn't get to him, temperature was 52 degrees, we just put him in an 80 degree environment in his house, he was out for a few hours in the 52 degree please advise what should i do what can I do for him he's not moving much

If possible, try to bump up the temp to 85-90 for a few days, to make sure he does not get an RI. I am sure he will be fine, but bumping the temp will help just incase.

Zeko

5 Year Member
perfect I will do that is it also okay if the other turtle gets the extra heat as well?

Yup, he may even enjoy it. Just make sure the "heat" isn't to close to their shells. Wouldn't want to burn them, with the added "bump" the heat/emitter may get very warm.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
it's a ceramic heater right now he's about 5 inches away from it, is that ok he always puts himself right in front of it

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I wouldn't worry. I figure,(not ideal) he probably could've done the night at 50° and come out of it fine if given the chance to warm up afterwards. As for the heater not burning, how hot does it get where the tortoise will be? I don't know that one, you would need to check.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am pretty sure he will be fine based on my own.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ceramic heat emitters will instantly burn you on contact. I think you must have something else. Can you describe the size and shape? Is it a big panel? Like a radiant heat panel?

5" is MUCH too close for a ceramic heat emitter.

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Willow was in a room with a busted window which got to 45 degrees and never over 70s. I had her in the bathroom and then a freinds with extra heat,vitamins UV and something I bought called "power greens" at the store which did seem to help revitalize her. it's made by "perfect circle" organics and comes in a plastic snap container ( just be sure to pick out any spinach before serving.. my tort LOVES it!)

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Sometimes I feel like i'm not only a tortoise mommy but also her vet since her own vet is so far away.. but he has advised me well. he also knows of and approves of this group :) BTW I LOVE my new tortoise calendar! I hung it right above willows enclosure.