Please help. (Cold tortoise)

sunflowergirl

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Please help I don't know what happened. Our sulcata tortoise was Normal a couple hours ago He had a heat lamp on him And he's in the house With us for winter but we found him Stone cold Not moving And bubbles coming out of his nose. He is stiff as a rock. 20231227_011321.jpg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
If he's under heat lamp, he should not be stone cold.

Try to warm him up to 85F. With a heat lamp and a thermometer. Don't put him directly under lamp, he should be on the border of basking area.

What's his age? What do you feed him? Do you keep him in the enclosure?

I hope, @Tom or @Yvonne G can chime in and help more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please help I don't know what happened. Our sulcata tortoise was Normal a couple hours ago He had a heat lamp on him And he's in the house With us for winter but we found him Stone cold Not moving And bubbles coming out of his nose. He is stiff as a rock. View attachment 364549
This species needs to be kept above 80 at all times. Its not 80 down on the floor in winter in Ohio. Also, heat lamps are not an effective way to heat larger tortoises. The top of the carapace gets too hot, and the core never gets warm enough. When the plastron is in contact with a cold surface, like down on the floor, this effect is even worse.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What's happening now with your tortoise?

sunflowergirl

Ohio
We got a space heater for him he's on a rug, in a small room about 8×6', there is no door but it's framed to have one. He's still blowing bubbles out his nose but it looks bloody. Everything looks the same his eyes aren't sunken in but they are closed. His limbs are still stiff and not limp20231228_225420.jpg20231228_225328.jpg

sunflowergirl

Ohio
I'm sorry fir the late response we just moved from Maryland right before Christmas

PinkPine

Michigan
Please take him to an emergency vet as soon as possible! If you just moved, hopefully you can google & find an exotic vet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to say, it looks like he died.

PinkPine

Michigan
Please take him to an emergency vet as soon as possible! If you just moved, hopefully you can google & find an exotic vet
I forgot to add, most emergency vets offer Care Credit. They have promo periods with no interest. I know emergency visits can be expensive. It helped me tremendously when my dog's spleen burst & had to be rushed to the clinic. I have no idea of your situation, but I just want to throw this out there in case it may help. I really hope your tortoise survives.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This poor tortoise is either dead or needs help ASAP!
Can you confirm if he is alive? Try giving him a warm water soak in your tub. Keeping him and the water warm. Leave him in it for at least an hour keeping both warm the whole time
Also search for a reptile vet.