Rescued Sulcata! General health concerns?

HarleysJoker

Hey all, I've recently picked up a sulcata from a friend of mine. He's had him since hatchling, and just turned 3 march 14th. He said he couldn't do it anymore, and offered him to me, since I've been saying I'd love to have one. I've been researching sullys for a couple years now, just some little (maybe) things concern me. He's been in my care for about a month. He grazes every day in my fenced and untreated backyard, and I give him Matzuri a few times a week, as well as reptivite and calcium. His stools are consistent, and his urates are clear and free of any white solids or mush to indicate any dehydration, eats and drinks absolutely fine, just his general color and especially this pit he has on his head concern me. Here's a couple pictures of my pretty boy Oscar the Curious!

Also including a picture of his enclosure. He's got a 6 by 3 1/2 foot box, with a little less than half being covered for a hide, its dark, and his lamps sit right above him. His box came with pine bark, but I just replaced that with cypress mulch from recommendation.

Again the pitting on his head and general color (pyramiding concern???) Are my main things. Thanks all!

1463248492277.jpg 1463248681881.jpg 1463248692315.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
my eyes are not good enough to see the pics sorry. But his color looks good is there any specific concerns you have?

HarleysJoker

Mainly the pit above his right eye, it has been there since I have had him. I don't see any growth on it from the beginning, but it hasn't gone away either. I'm just making sure he's all okay and I'm not doing anything wrong. If I am, I need to correct it.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Looks like an old wound to me. I would just keep an eye on it. He looks pretty good.

Kasia

Poland
Mainly the pit above his right eye, it has been there since I have had him. I don't see any growth on it from the beginning, but it hasn't gone away either. I'm just making sure he's all okay and I'm not doing anything wrong. If I am, I need to correct it.
Ask your friend about his past injuries - probably that is a closed wound after one. He won't be the prettiest but woman do seem to fall for the tough looking ones...;) If it's not swollen, oozing no worries. The box is tooo small - if he only sleeps in it and has a yard for himself in the daytime then it will do but if he spends days in it as well it's way to small for your tort.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
He looks to have a little pyramiding , it wont get worse if you start some daily soaking and try to keep him at 80 % humidity when he is in his enclosure . That red night light could be replaced with a CHE ceramic heat emitter . They will sleep better in the dark ! I couldn't tell much about that black spot on his head ! :) Looks like this ;

31CD+8GyrRL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg
May be white or black in color , mine are black .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That doesn't look good to me. My first thought was he should be taken to a vet and have it debrided so it could start to heal. But that would be up to the vet to make that decision.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I too would be concerned about the wound, it's hard to tell the extent without having a vet clean it and pike around the edges to make sure it's not spread under the skin.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The head wound should be cleaned up. The pyramiding isn't worrisome. The tortoise looks good, overall - skinny though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

HarleysJoker

Thanks so much for the help all!! I called my local herp vet through a good recommendation, and I was able to have him seen. He poked and prodded around the wound, and sent me home after stating almost exactly what was said here about his health.

Also to clear up hes only in the box at night time and is very tenporary. I'm not trusting whatsoever of my neighbors, nor the thin dirt here in sunny Florida, and am concerned he'd dig through it quickly.

Looking into driving either my whole fence deeper, or build a locked fenced area myself and put the posts low down with a heated hide for night time, but give him full yard reign through the rest of the day, with a little watering hole and everything. Wed just moved into this house and my girlfriend and I want to build him a little sanctuary in out backyard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks so much for the help all!! I called my local herp vet through a good recommendation, and I was able to have him seen. He poked and prodded around the wound, and sent me home after stating almost exactly what was said here about his health.

Also to clear up hes only in the box at night time and is very tenporary. I'm not trusting whatsoever of my neighbors, nor the thin dirt here in sunny Florida, and am concerned he'd dig through it quickly.

Looking into driving either my whole fence deeper, or build a locked fenced area myself and put the posts low down with a heated hide for night time, but give him full yard reign through the rest of the day, with a little watering hole and everything. Wed just moved into this house and my girlfriend and I want to build him a little sanctuary in out backyard.

Sulcatas don't dig out like a dog. They dig to escape hot weather, and they dig down at about a 40 degree angle. They use this single tunnel to come and go. They do not dig down, and then back up at a different angle.

HarleysJoker

Sulcatas don't dig out like a dog. They dig to escape hot weather, and they dig down at about a 40 degree angle. They use this single tunnel to come and go. They do not dig down, and then back up at a different angle.
Okay that's my misconception from the previous owner then. I had asked if he could be housed outside and the response I was given made me think he would be digging under the fence. He actually referred me here, and mentioned you knowing your stuff, though i don't think he was a member here. (Gave me a dodgy answer so i dont know?) So this weekend will be dedicated to replicating one of the boxes you linked me to!

Again appreciate the responses being so in depth and helpful! I just want to give this guy a pretty good living, and if he's unhealthy or in the wrong standings, I want to fix it asap.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Okay that's my misconception from the previous owner then. I had asked if he could be housed outside and the response I was given made me think he would be digging under the fence. He actually referred me here, and mentioned you knowing your stuff, though i don't think he was a member here. (Gave me a dodgy answer so i dont know?) So this weekend will be dedicated to replicating one of the boxes you linked me to!

Again appreciate the responses being so in depth and helpful! I just want to give this guy a pretty good living, and if he's unhealthy or in the wrong standings, I want to fix it asap.
They might dig under a fence but they would continue burrowing downward. They wouldn't come up in the neighbor's yard. Charlie has dug several burrows, some of which went under the fence. He likes to start them against some type of barrier or corner, which is why he started digging under the fence. It wasn't an attempt to escape. There was only one entrance, which is also the exit. If you provide conditions that protect from heat and cold, your tort may not feel the need to dig a burrow.