Extremely odd behavior from Sulcata

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pomona California
So he's got his usual night box that he walks into every night. In the past 3 months or so, I can count maybe 2-3 times where he's voluntarily slept OUTSIDE. We've always put him back in.

About a week ago, at around 2am, he RANDOMLY walks out of his night box and just sleeps outside. Bear in mind, the temperature INSIDE the night box is about 80-85F while the temperature OUTSIDE is anywhere between 40-45F.

Well guess what? He did it again! Except not at 2am, but right now at around 7pm. I placed him back inside....30 minutes later, he's out again! I placed him inside....and literally 10 minutes later he's back out! What in the world is going on?

The second time I caught him walking outside the night box, he was in the middle of the backyard grassy lawn with his head sticking inside the grass (it almost looked like he was drinking, very odd!) I tapped his head a few times and usually that'll make him go back inside his shell, but this time, it didn't! I finally picked him up and placed him back inside.

What the heck is going on? The tort is well-fed and everything is normal. I just find this behavior extremely odd (especially with him sticking his head in the grass like that). If I catch him outside again, I'll take a few photos!

Argh help!
My tort did this a few times, i realized his night box was too hot. Once i would lower the temp, he would stay inside. At the time i was using a infrared basking bulb. What heat source do you use?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tortoise Forum mobile app

thegame2388

5 Year Member
My tort did this a few times, i realized his night box was too hot. Once i would lower the temp, he would stay inside. At the time i was using a infrared basking bulb. What heat source do you use?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tortoise Forum mobile app

I use an oil heater so it doesn't dry up the place. Like I said, I've been doing this for 5 years and this was the first time ever.

thegame2388

5 Year Member
So you don't have a water source for your tortoise outside? Ever? That's not cool man. They need to be able to get a drink of water whenever they want.

And your night box needs a door. If you give them the opportunity to harm themselves, like by going outside on a cold night, they will do it sometimes. Shut the tortoise in every night and open the door every morning. This will help keep the temps warmer too.

Never gave him water straight up like this. He's been getting his water source from the occasional romaine lettuce and watermelon (both of which are about 95% water anyway).

Since our recent move, I moved away from feeding him romaine so I'm guessing this is why he suddenly became "thirsty".

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Never gave him water straight up like this. He's been getting his water source from the occasional romaine lettuce and watermelon (both of which are about 95% water anyway).

Since our recent move, I moved away from feeding him romaine so I'm guessing this is why he suddenly became "thirsty".
They need water at all times.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
Poor guy just wanted a drink! Mine drinks almost every day. He puts his head under water for the longest time. So long it scares me at times!
Very nice and healthy looking tortoise, surprising for one that has never had access to a water!

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Poor guy just wanted a drink! Mine drinks almost every day. He puts his head under water for the longest time. So long it scares me at times!
Very nice and healthy looking tortoise, surprising for one that has never had access to a water!

Thank you. He does look healthy indeed!

This is my yearly November/December comparison photo. With the same prop!

IMG-20181211-124936.jpg