Dumb question maybe (urates)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Sully is a 50 pound Sulcata. He lives outside in a heated night box inside of a greenhouse. I soak him weekly in a cement tub in my bath tub. He always passes healthy, creamy urates in his soak. I see urates in his box that are gritty. Do they dry out when sitting or do I need to soak him more often?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
They dry out when sitting, yes. I wouldn't worry if you're soaking him and he always has water. You could always sprits his food eat time you feed

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It would not hurt to soak twice a week, even though once a week is usually enough for a 50 pounder. Soaking more than they need hurts nothing. Not soaking enough… well… you know.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Soaking more than they need hurts nothing.
Lol. It hurts my back. Will try to do as often as I can. Is warming up n life will be easier soon.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They dry out when sitting, yes. I wouldn't worry if you're soaking him and he always has water. You could always sprits his food eat time you feed
I do soak his hay n spray the greens. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soaking more than they need hurts nothing.
Lol. It hurts my back. Will try to do as often as I can. Is warming up n life will be easier soon.

You made me laugh out loud. :D

I'll have to rephrase that catch phrase now.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's our problem! My sullies are 72 and 68 lbs. They've been use to soaks everyday, and that stopped a while back cause of their size. My husband pulled a back muscle the other day, and I'm hopeless. Even Baby Runt hurts me to lift her bc she's over 40 lbs now. I'm thinking of having holes dug in the yard and fill it with water every day.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That's our problem! My sullies are 72 and 68 lbs. They've been use to soaks everyday, and that stopped a while back cause of their size. My husband pulled a back muscle the other day, and I'm hopeless. Even Baby Runt hurts me to lift her bc she's over 40 lbs now. I'm thinking of having holes dug in the yard and fill it with water every day.
Lol. I am in Spokane valley Washington, so that doesn't work for me in the winter.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
In the warmer months I dig a hole and lay pond liner in it. That way I'm only filling it 3 times in one day. Works pretty well and I just spray it out. This is Dexter enjoying it over a year ago

1456584469798.jpg

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida

I pulled a muscle, yes, but I still put all three of them in their baths today. My back only hurts when I sit on those little 12 inch high stools to feed them. No more of that for me. The torts can feed themselves from now on. :p