Fighting gritty urates

Bogie=babyDINO

Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Ever since I noticed Bogarts urates getting a little gritty I've doubled the soaks. One soak in the morning and one at night. He has 80% humidity and is on a variety diet of mostly grass and oatgrass hay, with hibiscus, grape leafs, geranium leaves, prickly pear, weeds, weeds and more grass. Once a week mazuri. It's been a month now since I doubled the soaks and his urates are better just not as good as I expected. They are still a little gritty to me and not paste like. Any suggestions? Soak three times a day now? Ugh it's exhausting but I'll do it if that's what it takes. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460149510.297624.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All sounds good. I assume he has water available 24/7. Make sure the bowl is easy for him to get in and out of and that its big enough. Keep up the soaks, maybe make each one longer, at least 30 minutes if you don't already. He looks great

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
All sounds good. I assume he has water available 24/7. Make sure the bowl is easy for him to get in and out of and that its big enough. Keep up the soaks, maybe make each one longer, at least 30 minutes if you don't already. He looks great
Thanks I appreciate it. Yeah he has a large pot saucer I put fresh water in every day cause he soaks himself all the time. He's practically a water turtle for how much he is in the water I just don't get why his urates aren't nice and creamy like they used to be. My 4 temps are all good based on toms care sheets also. I don't get it but I'll keep at it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
try wetting down his food when you feed him

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't know if sulcatas can eat cucumber, but cucumber is very high in water content, just low in nutrition value otherwise. :p

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
@Tom what are your thought on grass and hay taking more water to digest? I've been reading some threads to help me out but it's only making me question more. Bogart eats a lot of grass now but his urates are more gritty even though I soak him twice a day, he soaks himself in between and he is in 80% humidity!! Is any of this related to him eating grass and hay now?