Baby sulcata too fat?

kkwonger14

Location (City and/or State)
Monterey Park, CA
Hi everyone,

My kids were gifted a baby sulcata....which means it's my new pet....

I've read all the posts here...such amazing info.

Just wanted to post a picture and see what the general census was on if I'm doing a good job.

His mouth has always been black and as hea gotten bigger it's more black....is he eating poop or is that just his color?

Also, he looks fat to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20230420_055249530.jpg
    IMG_20230420_055249530.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230502_184620551.jpg
    IMG_20230502_184620551.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 19

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Could be his color, could be he is eating poop. When you soak him, take a soft tooth brush and brush it softly and see if it will come off. He doesn't look fat. A tortoise doesn't get fat if given the right foods and has enough room to roam around.

kkwonger14

Monterey Park, CA
Could be his color, could be he is eating poop. When you soak him, take a soft tooth brush and brush it softly and see if it will come off. He doesn't look fat. A tortoise doesn't get fat if given the right foods and has enough room to roam around.
Thanks!! I gave him a couple pellets of mazuri, spring mix salad, grass and weeds from the yard. I put a couple succulents in his tank and he ignores them. I'm looking into getting a bigger enclosure since he's growing so fast. Got any suggestions for an affordable enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah that's a bit small. Because they do grow pretty fast, yet needs a closed chamber to properly grow and to grow smooth, I would either get a couple large storage tote boxes, the largest ones available and make one enclosure out of the two or buy a pop up portable greenhouse. I will enclose a picture of the one I would and have used.

kkwonger14

Monterey Park, CA
Yeah that's a bit small. Because they do grow pretty fast, yet needs a closed chamber to properly grow and to grow smooth, I would either get a couple large storage tote boxes, the largest ones available and make one enclosure out of the two or buy a pop up portable greenhouse. I will enclose a picture of the one I would and have used.
Yes my brother mentioned getting large, long totes. I live in southern California....when should I move him outside?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes my brother mentioned getting large, long totes. I live in southern California....when should I move him outside?
He looks great. Not fat at all.

Totes are too small. Get a Smart Enclosure from @Markw84 , or contact animal plastics if you don't mind waiting 8 months. You need a large closed chamber and it needs to be made of expanded PVC plastic so it doesn't rot.

1 hour of access to sunshine per inch of tortoise for babies. Outside all day in nice weather at around 6 inches, but still sleeping in the closed chamber the rest of the time. Keep it inside as long as you can, and move it outside full time with a heated shelter at around 10-12 inches.

More here:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosures Tom is talking about are great but not inexpensive for most, around 2 to 3 hundred. The totes are fine if joining two together as I mentioned. The green house is even better and there are several sizes available. I would get at least the 3x6 but a larger one would for sure last until he could live outside 24/7.

kkwonger14

Monterey Park, CA
Hey y'all.....we've had my new makeshift enclosure for the last 2 months and he seems to like the extra space. Got 2 large totes and glued/taped them together....put the kids on top so that it was a closed enclosure as best we could.

How's he looking?

Attachments

• IMG_20230717_191521682.jpg
    IMG_20230717_191521682.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230717_191515003.jpg
    IMG_20230717_191515003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey y'all.....we've had my new makeshift enclosure for the last 2 months and he seems to like the extra space. Got 2 large totes and glued/taped them together....put the kids on top so that it was a closed enclosure as best we could.

How's he looking?
The new growth is looking good.

kkwonger14

Monterey Park, CA
Hi everyone,

My kids were gifted a baby sulcata....which means it's my new pet....

I've read all the posts here...such amazing info.

Just wanted to post a picture and see what the general census was on if I'm doing a good job.

His mouth has always been black and as hea gotten bigger it's more black....is he eating poop or is that just his color?

Also, he looks fat to me