Possible Impaction?

Jodipg82

Location (City and/or State)
Oviedo
After reading through some of the posts, I think my 2yo Leo Tort may have an impaction. Not eating, lethargic and I haven't seen him poop in awhile. He does spend some time moat days in an outdoor enclosure and it would be difficult to see poop in there as it is grass and tort seed mix. I assumed he was pooping kn there but his symptoms seem to line up with impaction. He sitting in warm water under his lamp much to his dismay and I see a few toot bubbles but no poop. Soaked him thr past couple of days until he started to get upset and no poop. Would a carrot soak help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After reading through some of the posts, I think my 2yo Leo Tort may have an impaction. Not eating, lethargic and I haven't seen him poop in awhile. He does spend some time moat days in an outdoor enclosure and it would be difficult to see poop in there as it is grass and tort seed mix. I assumed he was pooping kn there but his symptoms seem to line up with impaction. He sitting in warm water under his lamp much to his dismay and I see a few toot bubbles but no poop. Soaked him thr past couple of days until he started to get upset and no poop. Would a carrot soak help?
Leave him in the soak water for at least 45-60 minutes. Don't worry about him "getting upset". We call that the tortoise treadmill and the activity will help get the GI tract moving if it is blocked.

Are you keeping him warm at night? Or is he sleeping outdoors out in the open?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Follow what @Tom says, and I would not soak in carrot juice. Other than possible impaction, all sounds ok. So, soak, soak & feed your tort some opuntia cactus pads & get it moving.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Leave him in the soak water for at least 45-60 minutes. Don't worry about him "getting upset". We call that the tortoise treadmill and the activity will help get the GI tract moving if it is blocked.

Are you keeping him warm at night? Or is he sleeping outdoors out in the open?
He has only ever slept in his indoor enclosure as he is so small for 2yo and im afraid of Raccoons getting to him. He has an outdoor enclosure similar to the one you have with the mesh top that I put him in for natural UV, exercise, etc. I keep his temps and humidity as per your care sheet so always 80+ humidity and temps bw 85 at night and then 99 in his basking spot with hot and cool sides to self regulate his temps. Zoo Med Orchid bark substrate...incandescent 65w, CHE in timers, etc. He does have snot bubbles sometimes. Just lethargic and only eating minimally. He peed yesterday and the tiniest little turd came out and that's it.

Reactions: Tom

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Follow what @Tom says, and I would not soak in carrot juice. Other than possible impaction, all sounds ok. So, soak, soak & feed your tort some opuntia cactus pads & get it moving.
Tom's care sheet has been my tort Bible since Squirt was 3mths old. But he is very small for his age and not a voracious eater. I have a Sulcata hatchling and it's night and day difference. The Sulcata eats like a beast, zips around its enclosure, etc. She truly made me realize that something just isn't right with my Leo; I've felt something wasn't right for awhile but I'm truly diligent about his care so can't figure out what it can be. We are about to move him into a new enclosure identical to this one to give him even more room...his current enclosure is 20x48.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Tom's care sheet has been my tort Bible since Squirt was 3mths old. But he is very small for his age and not a voracious eater. I have a Sulcata hatchling and it's night and day difference. The Sulcata eats like a beast, zips around its enclosure, etc. She truly made me realize that something just isn't right with my Leo; I've felt something wasn't right for awhile but I'm truly diligent about his care so can't figure out what it can be. We are about to move him into a new enclosure identical to this one to give him even more room...his current enclosure is 20x48.

Attachments

• 20220709_133012.jpg
    20220709_133012.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Obvious question: They are housed separately, right?

What was the source of the leopard and how much does it weigh now?

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Obvious question: They are housed separately, right?

What was the source of the leopard and how much does it weigh now?
Most definitely!! I do not want any carnage. Both are from Redfoot Ranch and last I weighed him a few days ago he was 67grams ):

Attachments

• 20220705_215710.jpg
    20220705_215710.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220706_192857.jpg
    20220706_192857.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most definitely!! I do not want any carnage. Both are from Redfoot Ranch and last I weighed him a few days ago he was 67grams ):
I don't know Bill personally, but did he breed these himself, or did he buy them form someone else for resale. It would help us to determine the problem here if we know how this baby was started. Most breeders incorrectly use the dry routine, and death or stunting is a common result. If he hatched and started this baby, he can tell you exactly how it was started after hatching. Was it soaked daily? Kept warm and humid indoors? 7-10 days in a brooder box, or straight into an enclosure?

Jodipg82

Oviedo
I don't know Bill personally, but did he breed these himself, or did he buy them form someone else for resale. It would help us to determine the problem here if we know
I don't know Bill personally, but did he breed these himself, or did he buy them form someone else for resale. It would help us to determine the problem here if we know how this baby was started. Most breeders incorrectly use the dry routine, and death or stunting is a common result. If he hatched and started this baby, he can tell you exactly how it was started after hatching. Was it soaked daily? Kept warm and humid indoors? 7-10 days in a brooder box, or straight into an enclosure?

how this baby was started. Most breeders incorrectly use the dry routine, and death or stunting is a common result. If he hatched and started this baby, he can tell you exactly how it was started after hatching. Was it soaked daily? Kept warm and humid indoors? 7-10 days in a brooder box, or straight into an
I was under the impression he bred and hatched them onsite...he's made comments in our communications that led me to believe this. When I got him, he was 2" long and weighed 27g. He does reference soaking in his care sheet but they aren't in depth at all compared to your care sheet. Within a couple of week so receiving him I found this forum and made all changes.