Possible monocular vision

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Have any of you come across a baby tortoise with suspected vision deficit? My baby has incredibly bad aim--he takes several attempts to even get a bite of food-- seems like his vision is poor. There are many days when I need to place him in his food bowl to get him to eat. I wonder if he can't see it?

I do not nor have I ever used one of the coiled bulbs. I used a 75watt power sun mvb. On cold days, I use two of these-- I have a large enclosure, but I am very careful to place his food very close to him.

He came from a pet store, and I do not know the conditions there. I fear the worst, but try to make up for it by giving him the best now.

Are torts like humans-- born with poor eyesight that develops over time?

Thank you for any education.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This happens a lot with babies. They get the hang of it eventually. In the meantime you can help him out by putting the food up against a wall so he bites at it and it can't move away from him. Also, cut it up smaller. Several members have blind babies and they get along just fine. Hopefully yours will be fine.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to hear that @Shaif .

I'd suggest you take your tort to a vet.

Please keep us updated, and wishes for your tort to get well soon.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you. My Zeus has never really been well. But I try everything and will continue to do so and try to understand how I can help him. I appreciate any and all the help I can get.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to hear that @Shaif .

I'd suggest you take your tort to a vet.

Please keep us updated, and wishes for your tort to get well soon.
It's pretty normal. No need for a vet visit. Piling the food or like Yvonne mentioned helps them to get the food and get it right.