Possible shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Hi,
I recently bought a male russian tortoise from Florida herps & I've noticed a HORRIBLE smell coming from his shell.. He also has a couple white chips in his shell & the lines in between his scutes look odd..
I don't have any vet to go to, so if it is shell rot, exactly how can I treat him myself? Please help! ImageUploadedByTortForum1374459057.958993.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Possible shell rot?

torilovestorts said:
Hi,
I recently bought a male russian tortoise from Florida herps & I've noticed a HORRIBLE smell coming from his shell.. He also has a couple white chips in his shell & the lines in between his scutes look odd..
I don't have any vet to go to, so if it is shell rot, exactly how can I treat him myself? Please help!

The lines between the scutes is new growth. That is a good thing . But the smell and white spot on his shell is not normal. I would check for soft spots . Wash him in warm water with a tooth bruch . Hopefully someone comes on and gives you a positive id on it .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

torilovestorts said:
Hi,
I don't have any vet to go to, so if it is shell rot, exactly how can I treat him myself? Please help!

The lines between the scutes is new growth. That is a good thing . But the smell and white spot on his shell is not normal. I would check for soft spots . Wash him in warm water with a tooth bruch . Hopefully someone comes on and gives you a positive id on it .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The spot does not look bad enough to be causing a smell. Is there any thing on the bottom or maybe within his limbs?

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
It's all over. I smelled all over him & it's just horrible.

I put iodine on his back legs & shell.. It's a little better. I rinsed him off & dried him good.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Does he have an open wound somewhere? Does he have poop stuck to him somewhere? Have you tried just soaking him in some warm water for a while? He shouldn't have a smell at all.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Well there are places that look like the scaly parts on his legs came off.. But his shell smells horrible too. There is no poop at all. & I soak him everyday.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I"m at a loss! Hopefully someone here can give you some better advice. He definitely shouldn't smell so a visit to the vet might be warranted.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The white spot looks like a standard WC chip to me.

I don't see shell rot.

My guess would be the smell is from poor hygiene but you say your bathing him. ??

How long have you had him now? How exactly are you soaking/bathing him?

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
I've had him since the 17th of this months, so 6 days today.
I soak him everyday.
I have a tub that I fill with warm water up to about his chin. I kinda leave him to do whatever for 5-10 while I'm tidying up his enclosure & putting fresh food. After I'm done, I take a toothbrush & I scrub any dirt off of his shell & legs. But I go very gentle on his legs so I won't hurt him. Then I take him out, dry him out really good, & either spend some time with him & let him walk around or just put him back in his enclosure..

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Maybe the place I got him from just didn't take care of him...
Will this go away?ImageUploadedByTortForum1374602810.371336.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
torilovestorts said:
Maybe the place I got him from just didn't take care of him...
Will this go away?

Maybe so ... but with daily baths he definitely should not smell still.
Is there anything oozing from between his scutes or anything? Is he eating and active?

Status
Not open for further replies.