Possible shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conzo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales, UK
Hi guys,
I have noticed on my Russian tortoise (Shelly), some white marks/blemishes under his scutes, I was worried at first and thought it could be shell rot? But there is no discharge and his shell smells like the coco fiber bedding pretty much so I don't think that is anything to worry about. He is a rescue tortoise because he was found in a garden and no one came up to us to say it was theirs. He does have slight pyramiding, and the outer scutes are slightly raised so i have been bathing him regularly so dirt will get cleaned out of their. But they seem to be sealing up so that's good :). He is now in his tortoise table and has an Arcadia D3 100 watt UVA/UVB MVB. He is very active, and is pooing and weeing normally. His inner scutes seem to be almost flattening out slightly. But the white under his scutes is worrying me because they weren't there before, and now that he has his basking lamp the white has developed. His plastron has also got some white developing, and there was pale red going down the middle and by the sides of the middle but it has faded a bit. If you look at the picture you can also see on the ring around his shell that there are 2 slightly raised pieces. But its just stayed the same for a while. At the moment I'm feeding him Lamb's lettuce, some kale, lollo rosso (the red lettuce kind), occasionally some rocket, and sometimes romaine and Komodo complete tortoise diet. I dust his food with either calcium powder and nutrobal daily. Soon I will be getting spring greens, weeds and flowers to go into his diet :D Please can anyone tell me if this is shell rot? Sorry for the long message. Its my first post :p (My tort is quite young so I believe he is male). He also goes out in the summer when its warm/hot. I also put in some pictures of his table :) :tort:P1000171.JPGP1000172.JPGP1000166.JPGP1000176.JPGP1000178.JPGP1000179.JPGP1000162.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi conzo, and welcome to the Forum!

When the new growth on a tortoise's shell has been visible for a week or so, it hardens and never moves again. The hard part of the shell in between the white spaces (the scutes) is what the tortoise started life with. When he grows, he does so between the scutes, in your tortoise's case, showing up as a lighter color than the surrounding scutes. This is perfectly normal. It just means that he has been getting a good diet and enough nutrition to grow.

conzo

5 Year Member
Wales, UK
Thank you for your quick reply :). I just have 1 question. Should I be concerned over the sudden change in his shell colour? Because all of a sudden his shell has developed white spots? or is that normal? :p thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said in my previous post, the white spots are new growth. This is totally normal. Unless you and I are not seeing the same thing. Are you talking about the white line that encircles the scutes?

conzo

5 Year Member
Wales, UK
Sorry if I was unclear. I was worried about the actual scutes. I have noticed that white spots/blemishes have started appearing underneath the scutes. Is he just growing and I'm just worrying about nothing?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not seeing any white spots. Are you referring to the light marbling on the carapace?

Either way, he looks fine and I see nothing to worry about except those low sides on your table. :p

Put a brick or 3" rock directly under your Arcadia bulb and leave it there for a couple hours. Then measure the temp on top with a temp gun. Should be around 35-38. If its hotter than that, raise the fixture up a little. Cooler than that, lower it down a bit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, I think I understand what you're talking about. It looks like the new growth is happening UNDER the existing scutes, but its really not. It is right next to the scute. The reason it looks that way is because the scute is raised in a bit of a pyramid. This is from the tortoise not being kept correctly by his previous keeper. The new growth is growing correctly, so it looks lower than the original scute. He really does look just fine. Stop worrying.

conzo

5 Year Member
Wales, UK
Thank you everyone for your replies! The good thing is I'm going to make an outdoor enclosure so there will be nice high sides and a big wire lid :p

Status
Not open for further replies.