Potential Respitory issue- Making sure im doing it right.

mads3732

Location (City and/or State)
Harrington
So this is my second time posting, the idea of a potential Respitory infection for my tourtise makes sense and I'm making sure I'm taking proper steps to combat it.

So like a month ago I noticed that my russian tourtise had a runny nose. I figured it was because his substrate was dry. I put him outside for the time being and changed his substrate to the Cypress mulch I use now. (He loves it alot) his behavior has changed. Sleeping more, ( I havent noticed a runny nose or sneezing.) And lack of appetite. He will eat a little, or stare at it and go back to bed. Very alarming considering how much he loves to eat. He has access to food all the time.

This is what I've done so far:
Upped the temperature in his tank to 80 degrees and higher
Given him 2/3 soaks a day in warm water
And left him good food to eat with calcium.

Suggestions?

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
It sounds like RI. If he starts sticking his head and looking towards the ground, audibly struggling to breathe and having a lot of discharge than that is definitely RI. I wouldn't wait until this happens but probably wait a little longer to see if it gets worse. If you see any discharge, whistling, squeaking, or he stops eating then I would schedule a vet visit.

mads3732

Harrington
It sounds like RI. If he starts sticking his head and looking towards the ground, audibly struggling to breathe and having a lot of discharge than that is definitely RI. I wouldn't wait until this happens but probably wait a little longer to see if it gets worse. If you see any discharge, whistling, squeaking, or he stops eating then I would schedule a vet visit.

I've noticed that hes moved his head towards the ground. Almost like hes touching the substrate or even his food with his nose. I've never noticed him do that. Havent noticed discharge or any noises.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I've noticed that hes moved his head towards the ground. Almost like hes touching the substrate or even his food with his nose. I've never noticed him do that. Havent noticed discharge or any noises.
Is it like a sometimes thing where he smells something and moves his head slightly up and down? That is perfectly fine and good but if he is sticking his neck up and his head down than he is trying to open up his lungs so he can breathe better. I would keep doing what you are doing and if you hear him struggling to breathe or having any discharge I would try to get him to a knowledgeable vet.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
It does not sound bad so I would not be worried. Just keep a eye on him and make sure he is eating.