Possible RI? Please help!!

Gab5150

Location (City and/or State)
Central Ohio
I think I may have a possible RI on my hands :(

I was giving my little sully hatchling has nightly soak and when I picked him up to start drying him off he sneezed, a clear liquid came out of his nose, and then he used his arm to brush at his nose. I know that the sneezing and runny nose can be a sign of a RI so I'm worried! This is a big surprise to me because I've never seen him sneeze or the runny nose before, and his breathing sounds normal. He isn't showing any signs of slowing down in activity and he just ate more food than I've seen him eat in one sitting (even some Mazuri!) so I thought I've been doing everything right :(

His temps are nearly perfect - 81* cool side, 90* warm side, 96-98* basking, night time low 79* on the cool side. The only issue is keeping his humidity up (it hovers around 69%). I am bumping his temps a few degrees for safe measure, but is there anything else I should do for my baby? Should I set up a vet appointment?

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Liquid coming ot after a soak, is just that liquid from the soak. I highly doubt it is one to be honest.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, we are a little too quick on the draw to act when we see drippy noses. If the tortoise is acting normal otherwise, eating, etc. then just wait and see.

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Shamefully, I admit that this wouldn't be the first time I have gotten a little paranoid with the bugger :oops: After the sneeze incident last night, I haven't seen or heard anything that would indicate a RI so maybe I was overly suspicious. I read a post a few days ago about a member loosing their baby sully for what seems like no reason (hatchling failure?) so I am a bit on edge...
He just devoured his mound of Mazuri mixture that I made like nothing I've ever seen so his appetite is still good. I will keep a close eye on him though. Thanks so much for the replies!!

Laurie tortoise

My sully s sneezes from time to time from dust or after a soak. It's really nothing to worry about. Like us they're sinus is designed to expel irritants. I do understand your fears.