Baby leopard with RI

Totally_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Madera California
My leopard tortoise I've had for over a year now has developed a runny nose that I noticed 2 days ago as well as some gasping. I've seen alot of different advice on humidity for leos and especially for what humidity they should be kept in with an RI. I see people say that dry tortoises with an RI should be kept dry and even more saying they should have higher humidity. I am getting a vet visit set up very soon for him as well as another baby tortoise i have suffering from shell damage. I can reply with pictures and details, but the temps don't go below 70 at night and he has a basking spot of just under 100 daytime. Honestly my biggest question is what humidity should i keep him? I've kept him in higher humidity as that's what I've heard is best but i have let it dry a bit since his symptoms. he was very active yesterday and ate well, and today is still pretty active but seemingly less apatite.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leopards need to stay no lower than 80 day and night, that's your problem
Wherever you are reading your info, stop, it's wrong.
Leopards should never be kept dry! 80% humidity 80 degrees day and night with a basking area of 95-100.
I think you need to do more research on this forum only and make changes ASAP before your torts are dead!
Your tort got sick from being too cold and having humidity. When kept at the proper temps, the humidity needs to be 80% and they won't get sick. Hot and humid not cold and humid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lighting should be a tube florescent for uvb
Incandescent flood bulb at least 65 watt for basking and ceramic heat emitter or two for added day heat if needed and night heat.

Totally_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Madera California
Leopards need to stay no lower than 80 day and night, that's your problem
Wherever you are reading your info, stop, it's wrong.
Leopards should never be kept dry! 80% humidity 80 degrees day and night with a basking area of 95-100.
I think you need to do more research on this forum only and make changes ASAP before your torts are dead!
Your tort got sick from being too cold and having humidity. When kept at the proper temps, the humidity needs to be 80% and they won't get sick. Hot and humid not cold and humid.
ive been keeping him humid like i said, but since he showed symptoms of RI i let things dry up since i saw that suggested somewhere but i am getting the humidity up again right now. he was also moved into a larger enclose recently which doesnt have a closed top which i now realize keeps humidity low. so im going to get that dealt with to keep humidity high

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yeah im keeping his temps up to 80 and above, just to be clear, should i keep humidity at 80 percent even with the RI? Ive raised the humidity
No lower than 80 degrees day or night is for a healthy tortoise to prevent this problem. Since yours is already getting sick, you want the temperature 85 or higher in the coolest part of the enclosure 24/7 for at least two weeks after symptoms go away. Daytime ambient temperature should rise to the low 90s, and the basking temperature directly under the bulb should be 100. How and where are you measuring an overnight low of 70? With high humidity, evaporative cooling often makes it colder, even if the room temp is 70.

RIs are usually caused by cold temperatures. The solution is often warmer temps. Since you've caught it early, you can probably cure it without resorting to harsh antibiotics that will wreak havoc on his GI tract. Be aware that most vets don't know much about tortoises and don't know tortoise care. Even the "reptile" vets. They learn tortoise care from the same wrong sources as everyone else. Be careful. Some of them do more harm than good.

You are going to have a very difficult time trying to keep temps up with an open top. It won't work. You need a closed chamber with the heating and lighting contained inside.

Totally_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Madera California
No lower than 80 degrees day or night is for a healthy tortoise to prevent this problem. Since yours is already getting sick, you want the temperature 85 or higher in the coolest part of the enclosure 24/7 for at least two weeks after symptoms go away. Daytime ambient temperature should rise to the low 90s, and the basking temperature directly under the bulb should be 100. How and where are you measuring an overnight low of 70? With high humidity, evaporative cooling often makes it colder, even if the room temp is 70.

RIs are usually caused by cold temperatures. The solution is often warmer temps. Since you've caught it early, you can probably cure it without resorting to harsh antibiotics that will wreak havoc on his GI tract. Be aware that most vets don't know much about tortoises and don't know tortoise care. Even the "reptile" vets. They learn tortoise care from the same wrong sources as everyone else. Be careful. Some of them do more harm than good.

You are going to have a very difficult time trying to keep temps up with an open top. It won't work. You need a closed chamber with the heating and lighting contained inside.
alright i think im going to move him back to his old enclosure with a closed top. and im just measuring the night temperature with a temp/humidity gauge and the cool side reads low 70s like 70-75 i know i should get a temp gun. and my room, where they are kept stays much warmer than the rest of the house.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
alright i think im going to move him back to his old enclosure with a closed top. and im just measuring the night temperature with a temp/humidity gauge and the cool side reads low 70s like 70-75 i know i should get a temp gun. and my room, where they are kept stays much warmer than the rest of the house.
You need night heat on a thermostat ASAP. More here:

I can see that you are not new here, but I typed this up recently and you may not have seen it yet. Lots of good info, including a breakdown of the necessary heating and lighting. I hope it helps.