Respitory infection :/

krissy56

I believe my baby sulcata tort has a respitory infection. I took him to my vet and he sent him home after 2 days and said he was healthy and that the bubbles coming from his nose are just him secreting salt from his body. Still doesn't explain the popping noises he makes when he opens his mouth. I was not happy with that answer and am currently looking for another reptile vet to take him too but is it safe to still soak him if it is a respitory or should I hold off ?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I have not heard that explanation for a runny nose. A runny nose is not always an URI, however. I would continue with the soaks, the tortoise does need to drink and stay hydrated regardless. It would also be a good idea check all the temperatures in the enclosure and be sure that the baby is kept at a minimum of 85°F. At least until the runny nose disappears.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not go back to that vet again. Further, I would demand a refund. Its bad enough that he is taking your money for something he knows nothing about, but making up stories about anatomical impossibilities is despicable!

You need to find the CAUSE of this problem. It is usually cold nigh temps. What are your four temps (warm side, cool side, basking area, and night) and what are you using for heating and lighting? Your ambient temperature should not drop below 80 day or night and they need a warm basking area of around 100 during the day.

Have you read these?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

krissy56

Yes tom I think I may have read every thread ever posted! Lol I'm just kidding but I spend most of my time trying to learn more everything is inspect except his night temps were getting about 72-75 but I did get a night heat lamp that keeps it at about 80-85

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The dropped night temps alone are not going to cause a RI, but mix those temps with an enclosure being kept with high humidity and that is a certain recipe for an ailing tortoise....

Bump the night temps, offer daily long warm water soaks (keeping the water warm the entire time) and as mentioned, don't let the enclosure ever drop below 80....but I would suggest to 85 minimum while the wet nose is going on.....I would also uncover the enclosure for awhile and turn off any misting system you have and let it dry out a bit for awhile why the wet nose is going on....help the guy out. Just what I would do is all...