How to treat respitory infection

CalebD

Location (City and/or State)
Wexford
Im 99% sure my sulcata tortoise has a respitory infection but theres no reptile vet near me :( so i want to help him what do i need to save him? hes less then 6 months old and ive heard amoxicillin can help turtles with respitory infections would it help my little guy?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
You can try raising your ambient temps to low 90’s during the day and no lower than 85-87 at night for a couple weeks until it clears up. After that you will need to make some changes to prevent it from happening again. Get urself an infrared laser thermometer to check temps all over ur enclosure. Good luck

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
If it starts getting worse and no improvement then you will need a visit wit a qualified vet

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Make sure to keep humidity 80+ and soak daily as well.. they can dehydrate quickly with higher temps

SatchelMonster

10 Year Member!
Ours got a respiratory infection this year too. Cold, wet spring. We took him to a vet and did a couple rounds of antibiotics. What fianlly helped him was high temps, sunlight, and fresh forage. (We moved around the same time from a house with a small, shady yard and mostly hay to eat to a house with a large yard with plenty of sunlight and fresh grass).

Also.... if a vet ever recommends injectible antibiotics... just say no. Worst experience of my life.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, we all agree that you need to increase the temperatures & triple check temperatures in your enclosure. A baby like urs shouldn't be exposed or kept in any cool (below 80f) temperatures.

Also, I would suggest that you not treat your young tort with amoxicillin for a few reasons. Lets first check & increase temps.

CalebD

Wexford
Ours got a respiratory infection this year too. Cold, wet spring. We took him to a vet and did a couple rounds of antibiotics. What fianlly helped him was high temps, sunlight, and fresh forage. (We moved around the same time from a house with a small, shady yard and mostly hay to eat to a house with a large yard with plenty of sunlight and fresh grass).

Also.... if a vet ever recommends injectible antibiotics... just say no. Worst experience of my life.
Got his temp up to 35 degrees celsius and he's back to normal!