Respitory infection

BobbyJ

so I took my redfoot to the vet today . He has not eaten since I got him a month ago , not one bite , so 350 dollars later he told me he has a respitory infection .. And gave me antibiotics and some food that I should force feed with ... I can't get the tortoise ( Tito ) to open his mouth he's so so stubborn ... Any thoughts on this and how to cure it , or how to get him to eat from the syringe

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I can't give you any advice for force feeding, as I've never done it, but for the respiratory infection just keep your tortoise warm. i noticed in your other thread you did not mention any night bulb, so if you do not have one i would recommend getting one (ceramic heat emitters emit heat and not light). they need constant 80-85 degree temperatures all the time, ESPECIALLY while they're young

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm not saying that an RI will always cure itself but I've had tortoises that wheezed and had runny eyes and it always ran it's course. One that also hasn't eaten would absolutely need a vet to step in.
The $350 is rough. But those animals count on us to take care of them.
Did your vet give you any tips on force feeding? (How to)
I have never had to do this.
Mine live exclusively outdoors and get lots of sunshine.
I honestly can't say enough about the health and healing powers of the sun.

BobbyJ

I can't give you any advice for force feeding, as I've never done it, but for the respiratory infection just keep your tortoise warm. i noticed in your other thread you did not mention any night bulb, so if you do not have one i would recommend getting one (ceramic heat emitters emit heat and not light). they need constant 80-85 degree temperatures all the time, ESPECIALLY while they're young
I have a night time bulb as well! Sorry I forgot that part

BobbyJ

I'm not saying that an RI will always cure itself but I've had tortoises that wheezed and had runny eyes and it always ran it's course. One that also hasn't eaten would absolutely need a vet to step in.
The $350 is rough. But those animals count on us to take care of them.
Did your vet give you any tips on force feeding? (How to)
I have never had to do this.
Mine live exclusively outdoors and get lots of sunshine.
I honestly can't say enough about the health and healing powers of the sun.
I'll put him by a sunny window when I can .. 350 is killing me , the vet wanted to run test after test and take x Rays two but I said no , I have anti biotic that I'll be giving him by inject for the next 15 days , other than that , I'm hoping he just heals himself

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I know we went over this in your other threads but you need that CHE and a thermostat.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I have a heating bulb I can't get the CHE it gets too hot

How are you going to use a bulb for night heat? They need it dark and warm. The CHE won't get too hot if you put it on a thermostat. You set it to 80 degrees and leave it be. It comes on when the temp is low and turns itself off when it's too hot.

wolfkat

Okay make sure you keep doing the injections because respiratory infections can be fatal if left untreated! If you have any other torts that come in contact with yours REMOVE them immediately as respiratory infections can be highly contagious! Your tort must be quarantined until this clears. As for force feeding: what we have done is have someone hold both legs (gently but firmly) so that your tort cannot cover his face and go completely in its shell and then get it a little upset by either poking (gently) at its butt/ back legs or our vet even said (depending on size) you can actually just grab their head and try to open their mouth (if you cannot open the mouth the tort should be angry enough that it has opened it's mouth and you can put the syringe with food in. Another thing is still holding the legs like before use a (CLEAN) credit card or even the round part of a paper clip and gently open their mouths.

I hope this helps! Goodluck!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
so I took my redfoot to the vet today . He has not eaten since I got him a month ago , not one bite , so 350 dollars later he told me he has a respitory infection .. And gave me antibiotics and some food that I should force feed with ... I can't get the tortoise ( Tito ) to open his mouth he's so so stubborn ... Any thoughts on this and how to cure it , or how to get him to eat from the syringe

Did the vet show you how to force feed, that should have been done there....not only is part of the process to open the mouth but how far the tube/syringe goes in and how much so you don't harm the tortoise....how old/large is the tortoise?

A night time heat source can be a black night heat bulb/ceramic heat emitter, either will work....and a night heat source is essential, especially for this species. The temp day and night should never fall below 80-85 and there should be a basking spot that the tort can move to and from in order to regulate their body temps....this is essential for health and for appetite/digestion.