Respiratory infection help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennK

Yes actually, My aunt advised me to pick up some erythromycin for fish from the local pet store. She said to give him half a packet orally daily and the remaining packet in a warm soak. I had some critical care left over from a previous bearded dragon fiasco and decided to mix this in to help mask the taste and give him a nutritional boost as well! I've been doing this for nearly a week now, and am happy to report he is clearly on his way to mending. This first few days he appeared to be getting worse, then yesterday he opened an eye on his own. It was a struggle, but he did it! And now today both his eyes are open and he is quite a bit more alert and active! He is not quite there yet, but he is clearly on his way to mending! He has three more days of medication. And I will continue to quarentee him and keep the heat up for atleast a week after the last sign fades away. But he is doing very well considering how bad he was and how quickly he became so bad. At one point I wasn't sure he would survive the night! I did some research and it turns out that eurthromiacin is what is commonly used in humans to treat both pneumonia and respiratory infections! Just, a lot higher dose! Lol. However, I now have a new problem in the form of ants! Apparently, they have decided my turtles home would make a wonderful location for their home... I am not sure how to combat this! My current enclosure is shown in the pictures below. Excuse the mess as it is bath/ cage cleaning time.... I just happened to be searching for a cure for ants when I saw this. The top, front, and back, are all screened! So any form of chalk is out. Also, I do not wish to use pesticides as I do not want to contaminate my food supply or for a contaminated fella to get through! Any suggestions?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ukiah Ca.
Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) only. This is for ants. Won't hurt tort. Sprinkle on ground, has to stay dry to work. It gets in the ants joints and cuts them soft body apart.

JennK

Thanks. I think I'm going to go nuts on the entire property. I have s bunch of peonies in the garden and while they're far enough away from the house, they still attract the ants like mad!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Did you replace the coil bulb with something that won't damage your torts eyes?

JennK

Yes. I now have another Flourecent light switch in there. When I finish my next build, I will have a vapor Mercury bulb placed 4 - 5 feet from ground level over a tree, to simulate dappled shade found in nature. I will also have a strip UVB light placed along side the heat light for the basking/ full sun area and a full shade area.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes. I now have another Flourecent light switch in there. When I finish my next build, I will have a vapor Mercury bulb placed 4 - 5 feet from ground level over a tree, to simulate dappled shade found in nature. I will also have a strip UVB light placed along side the heat light for the basking/ full sun area and a full shade area.

That may be a bit high for an mvb bulb which will give you light,uv rays and heat all in one, not sure it will do any good that high and the tree will filter out the uv rays, Mine is about 10-12 inches above carapace. They are quite expensive so I would look into that before buying,

Status
Not open for further replies.