Respiratory infection help!

haydog_99

Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
I'm sure the biggest part of the problem with the turtle is the light. Get rid of it. While your turtle is ill you need to keep the whole habitat at least 80F degrees. I doubt you'll be able to keep it that warm with the whole front open like that. I think you need to cover the mesh with plastic or something else to keep the warm air inside. Soak the turtle daily. If you know of a feed store in your town you can buy a little foil package of Terramycin water soluble powder:

Tm%2025.jpg

Put a quarter teaspoon per quart of warm water and leave the turtle soaking in it for at least a half hour (you'll need to use something he can't climb out of.
Yvonne, I just swithced to a humid enclosed enclosure and the humidity at night is running around 84% and I am challenged to keep the heat up around 80 with my current heating element, the enclosure is just too big. I am bought a 100 watt red bulb and it got the temp up to 80 without a problem but I noticed directly under the bulb it was getting around 105 F so I took it out last night. The enclosure was running between 78.5 and 80 the last two nights and I am paranoid about a respiratory infection. This morning when I took him out for his bath I noticed a random ticking noise, it may be normal because I never listened to him before. I had my ear right up next to him when I heard it. He has no discharge from the nostril's, eyes are fine and is eating. Should I get some of the Terramycin and soak him just in case? If I catch an infection early enough will this take care of it without a vet visit? Thanks in advance.

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Yvonne, I just swithced to a humid enclosed enclosure and the humidity at night is running around 84% and I am challenged to keep the heat up around 80 with my current heating element, the enclosure is just too big. I am bought a 100 watt red bulb and it got the temp up to 80 without a problem but I noticed directly under the bulb it was getting around 105 F so I took it out last night. The enclosure was running between 78.5 and 80 the last two nights and I am paranoid about a respiratory infection. This morning when I took him out for his bath I noticed a random ticking noise, it may be normal because I never listened to him before. I had my ear right up next to him when I heard it. He has no discharge from the nostril's, eyes are fine and is eating. Should I get some of the Terramycin and soak him just in case? If I catch an infection early enough will this take care of it without a vet visit? Thanks in advance.
Yvonne, I called my local feed store and they said they don't have that antibiotic or much of any now that CA decided to put the clamps on feed stores carrying antibiotics. Should I try a soak with some baby food as mentioned above? Can this go away on its own or should I just take him to the vet? Thanks again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, some sort of ordinance was passed last year making it a prescription. You can get a prescription from your vet. At any rate, in response to your first post, you'll need to buy either a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), or a RHP (radiant heat panel) to provide the necessary heat after the light goes off:

CHE
ceramic heat emitter.jpg

RHP
radiant heat panel.jpg

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Yeah, some sort of ordinance was passed last year making it a prescription. You can get a prescription from your vet. At any rate, in response to your first post, you'll need to buy either a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), or a RHP (radiant heat panel) to provide the necessary heat after the light goes off:

CHE
View attachment 289426

RHP
View attachment 289427
I have been using a 100 watt CHE and it just doesn't get hot enough, my enclosure is 4' x 2' x 2'. I mounted a open fixture on the ceiling in the center of the tank and put my 100 watt red heat buld in. when that was in the fixture on one side of the tank it seemed to heat the enclosure fine, but the fixture was about 10" off the substrate and it was getting almose 110 F under the lamp so I took it out. As for the clicking or popping noise should I take him to the vet now or see if it actually turns into something? Thanks