Respiratory infection medication

Zarhya Jurado

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello, I just got a baby redfoot tortoise about 2 weeks ago and I think it has a respiratory infection I have done a lot of research and the enclosure is about 80 to 85 degrees during the day and 75 degrees at night. One time I went to go pick it up and then it started breathing very hard almost like wheezing.
I am pretty sure it has a respiratory infection. I am trying to figure out a medication to give it, Please give suggestions about what medication I should give it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rather than give medication willy nilly it's best to find out for sure if it is indeed a R.I.

If you don't want, or can't afford taking him to the vet for a nasal smear to be looked at under the microscope, try covering the enclosure and raising the overall enclosure temperature to 85-90F degrees day and night. If this is a baby the higher temperature is better for him anyway.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
the problem with swabs is , a healthy tortoises respiratory tract can and often will be positive for benign staph , strep , aeromonas , klebsiellia , enterobacter , pseudomonas , pastuerella bacteria , among others , which may be benign , but are all potentially virulent bacteria , and your vet is likely incapable of seeing mycoplasma ....... finding a bacteria in nasal discharge is not the same as identifying the cause of the disease ........ a good vet is good guesser , with lots of experience guessing ........

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
the problem with swabs is , a healthy tortoises respiratory tract can and often will be positive for benign staph , strep , aeromonas , klebsiellia , enterobacter , pseudomonas , pastuerella bacteria , among others , which may be benign , but are all potentially virulent bacteria , and your vet is likely incapable of seeing mycoplasma ....... finding a bacteria in nasal discharge is not the same as identifying the cause of the disease ........ a good vet is good guesser , with lots of experience guessing ........

I knew I should have been a vet. All of my biology courses went to naught. Ended up using my minor in Russian!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i should have too , i've paid them more than the degree would have costed me ....... i suspect my vets have an entire wing i paid for ......