potting soil please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
So we have some potting soil in our garden and i plan on using it for tortoise but...
It says contains nitrogen and other stuff i cant remember atm does this class as treated if so can it not be used?!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I would NOT use it. You want to get something that says "Organic topsoil" Make sure nothing else is added like fertalizers and manure. Good luck!

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
The soil in the link you gave looks interesting. It does not give many detail at all; However it does mention that it contains 40% recycled material but does not specify. I would go with the "better safe than sorry" method and not buy it.

What you could do is find out if you have some soil in your backyard that is not potting soil and has not had pesticides or weeds killers put in it. Take some of that and mix it with peat moss and make a 50/50 mix of that, and it should work fine. You could even put some white sand in there as well if you so choose.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Just rang the place in the link and enquired,
They said they have a natural topping soil no pestisides etc in it alll thats been done with it is that its been sterilised would this be okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.