Pre-made food for a week

Location (City and/or State)
hundested
Hi, I am having two 1-year old hermani testudo (greek) named Salt and Pepper. Me and my husband lives in a house with a big lawn where there’s a lot of weeds that are edible for our torts. My question is it possible to make their food a week before? ie. I will prepare a box for 7 days like lunch box style and just take one each day? Has anyone tried it?

Central PA
I have not tried that for a week but i have done it before a few days in advance. I cant really give too much advice maybe try it out and see if the food spoils in that timeframe in the fridge....I think it should be okay

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not familiar with the Mediterranean species. However I believe a Hermani is a Hermann's tortoise and the Greek tortoise is a separate species
Anyway, either way, they should not be housed as a pair, one will bully the other to illness or death. They will bully even though you think you don't see it.

As for food for a week. Many of us dry greens, weeds, flowers etc for winter feeding. Whatever you pull today will dry out or wilt buy the 3 day if not sooner or maybe even later. If your torts will eat the dry or wilted then go for it. Not sure if they will last longer in the frig or just in a dark cool area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I am having two 1-year old hermani testudo (greek) named Salt and Pepper. Me and my husband lives in a house with a big lawn where there’s a lot of weeds that are edible for our torts. My question is it possible to make their food a week before? ie. I will prepare a box for 7 days like lunch box style and just take one each day? Has anyone tried it?
Testudo hermanni = Hermann's tortoise.
Testudo graeca = Greek tortoise.

These are two different species, but care is similar for both. Tortoises should never live as pairs, so you should have separate enclosures for your two tortoises.

In most cases, greens won't last a full week in the fridge. You could experiment with some of your local weeds and see if they will last that long. Spineless opuntia pads will last for months if not kept in a closed container. Maybe you could get weeds ad leaves to last 5 days, and then use prepared pelleted foods (like Mazuri or Komodo) and opuntia pads for the remaining 2 days?

Lots of helpful info here, and look for the temperate species care sheet at the bottom:

Central PA
I am not sure if I agree with keeping tortoises separate. I have seen many experts who have had dozens together (as long as they are all male or all female). Unfortunately this is a subject that is highly confusing, mainly because it depends on your specific tortoises. If they already get together just fine there is no problem with them together. Just make sure if you have multiple to have a extra large enclosure where one can get away from the other. Tortoises encountered other tortoises in the wild, it is natural to have them be at least able to see each other and have each have a nice getaway place. Sometimes one tortoise will establish dominance with a little violence, but that is the same with so many to other animals, for example, horses. Its just pecking order and serious harm is not as common as people think it is. Maybe keep them separated most of the time but let them have "supervised play" together

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I am not sure if I agree with keeping tortoises separate. I have seen many experts who have had dozens together (as long as they are all male or all female). Unfortunately this is a subject that is highly confusing, mainly because it depends on your specific tortoises. If they already get together just fine there is no problem with them together. Just make sure if you have multiple to have a extra large enclosure where one can get away from the other. Tortoises encountered other tortoises in the wild, it is natural to have them be at least able to see each other and have each have a nice getaway place. Sometimes one tortoise will establish dominance with a little violence, but that is the same with so many to other animals, for example, horses. Its just pecking order and serious harm is not as common as people think it is. Maybe keep them separated most of the time but let them have "supervised play" together
You answered your own question.
In a very large area, multiple tortoises can often work. Dozens together. Or a single male with at least 3 females.
But pairs are always wrong.
Keeping males together is wrong.
And so is mixing species.
Tortoises are territorial. They don't play.
Tortoises do not think or act like mammals. And require different care.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Groups are not pairs.

Groups can work (with enough space, but even then can still be deadly for some)

Pairs will always lead to bullying behavior. Unfortunately most people don't recognize bullying behavior in tortoises because it is "good" behavior in mammals ("snuggling", following around, sharing food dishes, eating together).

Tortoises are not happy in pairs. You are their caretaker and you can do whatever you want to them, but that doesn't make it a good situation for whichever gets the short end of the stick.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If I'm reading this correctly, I think the answer is yes, but it may be more hassle than it's worth.

A couple of times I've harvested a bunch of grape leaves from a wild grove near my house, and after rinsing the leaves off, I layer them (not too tightly) in ziplock bags or tupperware containers, alternating layers of leaves with layers of paper towels.

This seemed to stop the leaves from wilting or rotting for about a week, so it might be worth your time and effort.

Jamie

hundested
Testudo hermanni = Hermann's tortoise.
Testudo graeca = Greek tortoise.

These are two different species, but care is similar for both. Tortoises should never live as pairs, so you should have separate enclosures for your two tortoises.

In most cases, greens won't last a full week in the fridge. You could experiment with some of your local weeds and see if they will last that long. Spineless opuntia pads will last for months if not kept in a closed container. Maybe you could get weeds ad leaves to last 5 days, and then use prepared pelleted foods (like Mazuri or Komodo) and opuntia pads for the remaining 2 days?

Lots of helpful info here, and look for the temperate species care sheet at the bottom:
IMG_7679.jpeg

hundested
Hi sorry to disagree with you guys but its the real documents I hot in Denmark as these animals should be registered and they called it like that græsk skilpadderne= greek torts. And yes Ive. been housing them in pair and U thought thats sweet but as Ive seen a post about separating them in this site i did actually separate them, though they look like having lesser energy as they dont compete anymore with each other I have to separate them too as Ive seen them bite each other for a very young age. So I will go with most say, i will start with 2 days in fridge and if they are okay with that I will see if I will make it more

hundested
If I'm reading this correctly, I think the answer is yes, but it may be more hassle than it's worth.

A couple of times I've harvested a bunch of grape leaves from a wild grove near my house, and after rinsing the leaves off, I layer them (not too tightly) in ziplock bags or tupperware containers, alternating layers of leaves with layers of paper towels.

This seemed to stop the leaves from wilting or rotting for about a week, so it might be worth your time and effort.

Jamie
Thanks Jamie, its just for the purpose of rush mornings

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi sorry to disagree with you guys but its the real documents I hot in Denmark as these animals should be registered and they called it like that græsk skilpadderne= greek torts. And yes Ive. been housing them in pair and U thought thats sweet but as Ive seen a post about separating them in this site i did actually separate them, though they look like having lesser energy as they dont compete anymore with each other I have to separate them too as Ive seen them bite each other for a very young age. So I will go with most say, i will start with 2 days in fridge and if they are okay with that I will see if I will make it more
The government paperwork is incorrect. This should not be a surprise to anyone.